Warm it up or just go?

Do you let your bike warm up?

• Yes

Votes: 431 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 79 15.5%

• Total voters
First start of the day I let it warm till the temp gauge is well up toward operating temperature then go. After that I don't worry about it if it cools off a little. Start 'n go, just easy until it gets back up to operating temperature.

Neighbors love me.

Start the bike, light a cigarette. Once done smoking put on helmet and gloves (everything else is already on) and I'm on my way to work. Nothing like the echo of a busa engine at 440am!

I start her up and let get her nice and warm while I don my PPE @ the first ride of the day..

Personal Protective Equipment for all you civilians:laugh:

To be perfectly honest, I don't roll until that needle is on the rise. The expansion / contraction values for head gaskets sandwiched between aluminum heads and "any" other material is dramatic. Get the BTU's (heat) moving on both sides, and that thickness will remain healthy.....fire it up, and roll out hard and you're just heating up the combustion chambers and the cylinder sleeves......

Drag racers can run cold, and rebuild more often, "we" have to depend on that material-spacer for a lot of dependable miles..... :super:

There are parts made from different metals and alloys that expand at different rates as they heat up. So tollerances between parts can be tighter or looser than desired when the engine is cold.

I voted yes BUT,...

...It's not necessary.

Once the oil pressure is up, in a few seconds as mentioned, your good to go.

The ECU that controls the air fuel mix, is not active until the engine reaches operating temperature.
That can take a several minutes at an idle, however,
if you that temperature is reached much quicker under normal operation.

You will get better fuel milage and have fewer emissions once the ECU mixture is active.

I think? ???

I fire her up and then start putting on my gear while going through T-CLOCK. We're both ready to go when I'm done with the pre-ride inspection. I take care of her, she takes care of me.

Always, I roll it out of the garage which is heated/cooled by the way, start and let idle while I put gear on. Usually by the time all the gear is on the temp gauge is between 1/4 to 1/2. I then make it a point not to roll on her hard for the first few minutes of riding.

Does it matter? Some say yes, some say no, thing is nobody is saying it hurts anything. Always err on the side of caution if possible. :thumbsup:

I start it and then put on my helmet and gloves. If I’m running late I will go ahead and take off but since the speed limit through my neighborhood is 20mph, I only running little over idle anyway. By the time I get to the main road, she is just about up to operating temp. If I have plenty of time, I tend to let her get to operating temp before taking off.

As far as your friend goes, I don't think he has anything to worry about with his potential purchase.

I wait until oil pressure builds and then drive away gently, very gently, and ride away gently until the temp gauge comes up. Usually I do this while putting on my gear, so maybe a minute of idling.

Oil pressure is full once the engine has been running about 15 seconds, but you still have clearance issues as parts expand from the heat. Running the engine very gently, short shifting to keep the rpm low, keeps blow-by from being a significant issue.

One problem with running an engine at idle for long periods of time is that you collect water in the cold exhaust system. Actually using the engine moves enough air through the system to keep this from happening. It's a bigger problem for cars than for motorcycles.

When it's really cold out, I will start the vehicle, run it for about one minute, and then shut it off and go finish my coffee. After about 5 minutes, the heat concentrated in the heads, upper cylinder walls, and piston tops will have spread around nicely warming the engine. This is much better than letting the engine idle for 5 or 10 minutes like I see many people do.

Last edited:
i start the bike put my helmet, jacket, gloves on and then ride, that gives couple of minutes but longer depends on zipper to my leather jacket!:laugh:

I let her warm up...That is what the guys at the dealership told me to do...I turn up the idle full for a few minutes, then half for a few minutes and then regular for a few minutes...:beerchug:

I usually put my helmet on, then start the bike...then I put on my gloves and take off. So it warms up for thirty seconds or so, I don't ride it hard for the first few minutes :thumbsup:
yep same here...

Have heard that it takes almost two minutes for the oil to reach all parts of the engine on a cold start. Have noticed many times on an automobile engine that it can take quite some time for oil to come up the push rods and start lubing the rocker arms on a cold engine.

Back