before changing oil, do u ride the bike for a few or just let it idle to warm up?

hemi

Registered
stupid question, but i removed the fairing last night so i can change the oil today. Been raining all day, so i can't take it for a spin to get it nice and warm before changing the oil. Guess i will just have to let it warm up for a few at idle and then drain it. I always like to ride it for 5 minutes or so to get the oil nice and warm through the clutch packs and everything. What do u guys do before draining, ride it to warm it up or just let it idle, or does it even matter??

I let it warm until the temp gauge is where "normal operating temp" is, shut it off, let it set for 10 minutes (so all the oil drains back down to the pan), then dump it.

let it warm up a bit, then turn it off and pull the drain plug quickly so all the particals are still in suspension in the oil as it drains, let it drain for a good long time, you need the header to cool down anyway to get the oil filter out.

Personally, I believe in changing oil cold, as the stuff has worked its way back into the oil pan from all the little places in the engine and you get a cleaner drain, provided you have the patience to let it drain for a few, while working on other stuff on the bike.

I have my oil analysed though, so I have to drain hot after riding the bike, to make sure there are no false moisture readings in the analysis.

drainin the oil right now, i hate winter!! Just need to top off the tank and add some stabil, then i can throw her on the stands with the cover on and hook up the battery tender, see u in a couple of months my little baby busa:(:(:(

Personally, I believe in changing oil cold, as the stuff has worked its way back into the oil pan from all the little places in the engine and you get a cleaner drain, provided you have the patience to let it drain for a few, while working on other stuff on the bike.

I have my oil analysed though, so I have to drain hot after riding the bike, to make sure there are no false moisture readings in the analysis.

I would think the particals would be on the bottom of the crankcase this way and not all of them would make it out, to each his own.

I am afraid I am no of help to you on this one, hemi.....we ride year-round here in SoCal :poke:

I m a fan of cold engine oil change too .The one and only time I tried to do it with hot engine I stripped the oil pan threads.Maybe a coincidence ...I don't know

I would think the particals would be on the bottom of the crankcase this way and not all of them would make it out, to each his own.

There should be no particles, unless the oil filter crapped out. Last analysis I had 0.2% insolubles.

I drain mine cold while all the oil's in the bottom. Been wrenching a long time and the only reason I see to warm it up is to make the oil flow quicker.

Back