Questions on warming up bike before top speed run

The Big Red One

Registered
I have a nice desolate stretch of flat, straight, deserted, divided highway just up the road from my house. I'll sit and warm my bike up close to, if not at the normal running temp on the gauge before I pull out of the driveway. I have about a mile and a half of slow residential cruising till I get to the freeway. By that time the temp gauge is as high as it gets under normal running. I've always figured its warm enough for fun and will sometimes get on the highway and run through the gears, shifting at about 10000 rpms right up to top speed. It doesn't say anywhere in the manuals how much to warm it up before you get on it hard.
Just wondering how you guys do it, and whats too little or enough? I run Mobil full syn bike oil. Just want to get my engine to last as long as I can ;-)

Warm it up to operating temp or close to it, then ride easy for a few miles, then get some!!! Thats waht i do, or did, only do 65 now:whistle:

Man, if you are at over 10K in top gear u are flying low...That is some serious cash problems if the police catch u flying that low:laugh:

In the summer it does not take long at all to splash enough oil around the engine. I'm at 42k trouble free miles now, and I only do a quick warm up - like 30 secs to a minute depending on outside temps.

I'd be more worried about your chain/tires/etc. before a top speed run. Be careful... :thumbsup:

+1, tire temps would be my concern before any heated throttle wringing :whistle:

Man, if you are at over 10K in top gear u are flying low...That is some serious cash problems if the police catch u flying that low:laugh:
lol...I'm running 16/42 gearing on a gen1, my speedohealed speedo is showing about 174-75 at the top speed limiter of 10500 rpm. It's still reading a little high I think tho. According to the gearing calculators I should be doing 180 at my true redline......I'm getting robbed...I need a tre :laugh:

In the summer it does not take long at all to splash enough oil around the engine. I'm at 42k trouble free miles now, and I only do a quick warm up - like 30 secs to a minute depending on outside temps.

+1, tire temps would be my concern before any heated throttle wringing :whistle:
With the summer heat in the garage...and me running 42psi cold in my tires, I'm hoping I've got the tire pressures covered. I'm pretty anal about bike maintainence because of my high speed urges :laugh:
So far it sounds like my warm up times appropriate :thumbsup:

Good thing to be anal about your maintenance. Keep in mind that the smallest thing, could mean trouble at those speeds. I used to wring out my bike on a fairly regular basis. There are a lot of long straight roads in the outlying areas around Albuquerque. That is until I found a nail in my tire just by accident on my last ride. Fortunately i didn't attempt to fly on that ride but it got me thinking about how the smallest thing could mean disaster. How about a squirrel, prarie dog or coyote that happens to cross at the wrong moment. How about that truck tiedown chain (I have avoided two) that is laying in the middle of the road. Point is that every time you crank her up in an uncontrolled environment you are taking a chance so keep that in mind. AAAH Temptation, resist,, resist,,WTF, Hit it!!!

I'd be more worried about your chain/tires/etc. before a top speed run. Be careful... :thumbsup:

I've seen they allow a little warm up burn out at TX. At Maxton we pull out on a cool morning with no heat at all on the tires and hit it.

No way to warm them up without a tire warmer.

The oil is what you want up to temp rather than water in the head. The oil heats up much slower than the water. When the oil is cold and thick nothing is oiling properly nor has the metal parts heated and expanded for proper fit. As a rule of thumb I alway wait until the water temp has reached max at about 220 and the fan kicks in to cool it before I throw a leg over.

I do this whether I'm going for a sunday ride or sitting in the pits at the track. Just my thing I guess but it keeps my mind at ease that the engine is oiling properly.

Once the water temp is up to normal, then ride a few more miles and then your oil will be fairly warm. I would not hammer it right away as that thicker oil is not what I want to try and squeeze in the bearings! Good Luck on hammering it!:thumbsup:

Back