• Yes

Votes: 431 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 79 15.5%

• Total voters

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
When I bought my first new bike, GSXR600k3, the sales guy and I were going over the basics before i took off. He said ALWAYS let it warm up to at least 90 degrees. I always did, and still wait until the temp gauge moves a bit on the Busa. Im religous about it, even with my car and truck, I always let it warm a bit before i go. The question is am I just being paranoid? A friend wants to buy a coworkers bike, and he never lets it warm up before he rides. The price is about right and the bike is never ridden hard, should he buy it? Thanks guys.

I let mine run until the temp gauge is 1/2 way (running temp) and then drive easy for 5 minutes or so.
Even then if you touch the clutch housing it is still cold.
Takes a while until it is even temp throughout.

I let mine run for at least 2-3 minutes if it's the first start of the day or if she's been sitting for a long time. Mine stays in a warm garage, so I'd let her warm up longer if she stayed outside. Even then I'm not heavy on the gas until the temp is all the way up.
:beerchug:

It's always a good idea to let an engine, any engine, warm up before you start to ride/drive.

I usually put my helmet on, then start the bike...then I put on my gloves and take off. So it warms up for thirty seconds or so, I don't ride it hard for the first few minutes :thumbsup:

I always let the bike warm up before I take off. Fortunately that was how I was taught from the beginning, so it's just ritualistic now.

I said no but come to think of it I actually do because I put on my gear start the bike up and then roll it down the drive way. I can't let it run to long in the garage cause it's loud and my wife get pissed cause I have a one year old

Does any damage occur when its ridden cold? shorten the life of the motor?

No, the oil pressure is up in a few seconds...like less than 5...you just wouldn't want to go full throttle in the first minute or two :whistle:

The nabors would shoot me I let it warm up at 4am... I wait till it won't stall and go .... easy though, not much trottle, just enough to get rolling.

30 seconds then take off at a controlled speed until operating temperature. The absolute worst is blipping the throttle on a cold, idling engine. Oil pressure at idle is considerably lower than at even low engine speed and the head needs a good flow of oil too. And catalytic converters will not warm up properly at idle and reduce their life. In addition, water, a byproduct of combustion, will settle into too many places at cold idle including back into the oil as blow-by.

This argument is like oil changes and super no lead for your station wagon. There are SAE papers on this subject as well.

I left the drive way cold once --- on my way to pick up framer sliders...

I wish I'd have warmed it up... and gone the day before to get those parts. :banghead:

Back