Want your rear signals to act like running/brake lights?? Install a SMART Triple Play

InfiniteReality

Registered
Backstory:
I had one of my signal/running lights go out. They lasted 5yrs so I can’t be too disappointed I suppose. When looking for new bulbs, of course 5yrs of LED technology is a HUGE leap. I highly recommend anyone running old style LED’s to upgrade now! I should have upgraded couple years ago. These are what I have:
2X 1157 40W Projector High Power 2538 Chip LED Red Front Turn Signal Light Bulbs

I also have been running a Custom Dynamics modulator for the tail of the bike which allows my signals to act as running lights and brake lights for past 5yrs too. It also pulsed them 3 times and then solid upon hitting the brakes. These type of things are mainly for cruiser-type of bikes but it’s a perfect addition for a busa since signals are part of the tail. The old LEDs matched my tail light in brightness to a tee. After installing the new ones, I realized they were WAY brighter and now bugged me. Decided since the bulbs were so much better, maybe they make a better modulator. Sure enough Custom Dynamics had what looks to be an updated one. This one allows me to dim my signals and as an added bonus I have 10 brake patterns to choose from. You can also choose if you want the signals to flash, only brake light to flash or all 3 of them to flash (see below for video, those options are the first 3 you see). I bought the universal model. Motorcycle Run Brake Turn Conversion Kit

Custom Dynamics SMART Triple Play:
I was going to do some sort of write-up, but I didn’t take as many pictures I should have so this is mainly to show what I did and where I put it. Wiring is simple, just follow the directions. The module comes with Posi-Taps, which aren’t cheap, but I prefer my stuff to be soldered. The only some what odd part is they have 2 input running light wires. I did NOT connect the orange wire and everything operates perfectly. I mounted the module between the left subframe rail and the trash can. I always keep random wire harnesses around, so I grabbed a 6-wire plug so I could plug/unplug everything when removing the tail. You can buy these harnesses from here: Connectors (Multi Pin) | All Electronics Corp.. While you can use the stock harnesses to remove the tail, I went this route so it’s just one connector instead of 3.

Thoughts:
IMO, this is a huge upgrade. While the other one wasn’t bad, this module is more thought out. I really dig being able to dim my signal running lights. They are set on the lowest setting. I have it set for all 3 lights to pulse and I have it set on the strobe setting where it strobes for 4 seconds and goes constant. I highly recommend this mod. It not only does it make the bike, in my opinion, more “complete” looking having all lights on the rear and of course WAY safer which was the main reasoning in doing this 5yrs ago.

Videos:
Here’s going through all settings. First 3 are how you can select which lights will pulse. The rest is the 10 patterns.

My specific pattern I chose

And pictures for what they’re worth…

Old modulator. I painted it black, not really sure why I did that, lol.
IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

New one
IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Want your rear signals to act like running/brake lights?? Install a SMART Triple

For reference, here's what the signals look like when you can't dim them.

20151005_190253.jpg

20151005_190311.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Want your rear signals to act like running/brake lights?? Install a SMART Triple

Any video of it in action? I've been wanting to upgrade to LEDs forever, but i hear horror stories about finding the right supplier that doesn't flicker and have junk quality. Link to where you got yours?

Any video of it in action? I've been wanting to upgrade to LEDs forever, but i hear horror stories about finding the right supplier that doesn't flicker and have junk quality. Link to where you got yours?

I highly recommend LEDs. There's zero flickering and everything works 100% as intended/expected. Just need the bulbs and an electronic flasher. I opted for a better one where I can choose my flash pattern as well as the triple play for safety.

Links for the bulbs and videos of them in action are in the original post. Just make sure you get 1156 size bulbs.

He might be asking because you linked to eBay, which frankly, alot of folks don't trust.

Was there a specific brand name on the packaging you received that you might recall? Or are they actually made/packaged-by the eBay seller?

He might be asking because you linked to eBay, which frankly, alot of folks don't trust.

Was there a specific brand name on the packaging you received that you might recall? Or are they actually made/packaged-by the eBay seller?

Very true, but it seems like he just overlooked my links to eBay and both YouTube videos.

Like most China LED products (bulbs and light bars), they're likely all made by one place and then rebranded from there. The seller is DT-Autotech, if that helps any and I know they weren't rebranded or manufactured by him for sure....they had a brand, but I don't recall it. I've used this seller many times in the past for LED bulbs for the Raptor with no issues and always quick shipping (from Cali) and one of the better LED products as far as quality and brightness.

eBay is your best option for a selection of different LED bulbs, from old school LED to new technology. I've messed with LEDs for the past decade....there's a few places online you can find a decent LED selection, but doesn't remotely compare to what eBay offers and they're 1/2 the price for same product. I'd never sweat using eBay in general, I've used them for past 15yrs without incident. This was before PayPal and you had to send money orders or checks to pay for thing back then which takes alot of trust... Haha, but seriously true. :)

Back