Turn signals turned into brake/running/turn signals

AK1340

Registered
Does anyone one on here know how to rewire the rear turn signals to turn them from just turn signals into turn signals, running lights and brake light so I can do awy with my brake light all together.

I'm sure there is already a post for this mod but I have been searching with no success.

I bought the Hopkins trailer harness from Autozone for $15. It takes the inputs from the brake, running and turn signals and outputs the signal to the turn signals so they will do all three functions, independant of eachother. I had to modify the 1156 single pin bulb sockets to accept an 1157 dual filament LED with off set pins. I also purchased new dual contacts $3 a piece for each socket. I stuck the Hopkins module in the space above the brake light. I did not cut into the main wiring harness, but I did cut into the rear secondary harness, that you disconnect when pulling the tail off. While I was at it I also installed a braking strobe module for $7. It flashes 20 times in two seconds and then goes solid.

I altered my front sockets as well to dual filament and put in the Amber-Off Switchbacks. I pulled the running light feed from one of the position lights.

The wiring expense for me was cheap. The LED bulbs can get expensive at about $25 a piece, but I wanted the brightest I could get.

The whole project works and looks incredible.

Good luck in whatever decide!

I don't suppose you have any pictures of your set up? I am definitely not very wiring savvy but that sounds easy enough.

Why do you want to do away with your brake light?
Seems like asking for trouble by just having the blinkers do its job.
Somene may not see them and run over you.

I know it sounds like a bad Idea but I mostly want to use my bike for the strip. But I still want to stay legal. If I do ever decide that I want to do more street riding I will just put the tail light on. For right now I am about to order an air tech +6 street tail before I cut out the hole for the brake light I would like to wire it up like this first. I have seen a member on here that had the same set up and I really liked the look.

Thanks for all your guys help so far.

Back