Want your opinions

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
So the other day my 14 year old step daughter left school without permission. At first i was super Pi**ed but then she told me what happened. So first class in the morning they say the pledge of allegiance which is totally acceptable to me and believe it is a good thing. Well the 14 year old is going thru that phase of finding herself and all that other great crap, and she didn't want to say it because she says she's atheist or some crap like that. Anyway the teacher then proceeds to ask her if she is a TERRORIST in front of the whole class and the class then started to call her a terrorist. Is it me or is this completely uncalled for? I'm very upset and want to go down to the school and raise some hell but the wife told me to give them a few days and if we get an apology it blow over. I'm really considering blowing this up and making this school and the teacher responsible. I mean with all the stuff you hear in the news about kids committing suicide because they have been bullied you would think this wouldn't happen especially from a teacher. Am i wrong to be this mad?

I kid that won't say the pledge of allegiance needs to be taken aside and talked to personally. This teacher is acting like the children he/she is supposed to be teaching.

GL

The teacher was out of line, but so was your kid.

Before you go blowing up, I would find out the other side of the story. Could your kid not be telling you the truth as to lessen your anger for her skipping out of school?

Don't wait. Go to that school and have a talk with the Principal and teacher. Do it calmly but do it now! Get all sides before making judgment. As some kids do, mine included, they will leave a few detail out but you do want to get the whole picture before deciding on your next move. I would be very upset if this happened to my child too.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Well we went to the school and they are suppose to look into it. Trust me im not thrilled about how the 14 year old acts but then again i can remember being 14. Im sure their is more but still my kid, Still need to have her back..... we shall see what the school says.

Coming from a teacher... of high school students... That teacher was completely out of line.

Now I do have students I joke around with and may say things that when taken out of context sound rather risque...

Are we sure your daughter just wasnt having one of those overly sensitive drama queen moments that some 14 year old girls like to have?

Either way I would say confront the teacher face to face and watch her reaction very carefully.

And oh yeah... none of this is ANY excuse for skipping school. I hope she is still grounded for that lil offense...

They absolutely should not be required to say the PoA in school. As an atheist I think it's unacceptable the double standard Christians have with their beliefs, separation of church and state doesn't exist blah blah, that's another topic.

For the teacher to call out your daughter like that is completely over the line... whatever reason for not saying the PoA, not saying it does NOT make you a terrorist.

With that term being soooo rampantly thrown around, the kids are going to remember it. It very well could stick with your daughter for quite a while, esp. with kids of that age.. Kids are MEAN!!

That teacher had NO right, and I'd be upset if she wasn't relieved of her position at the school. I'd be raising hell.

I bet you won't find an atheist teacher pulling a similar stunt on kids for saying the PoA, however you will find some standing up against teachers like the one in question.

They absolutely should not be required to say the PoA in school. As an atheist I think it's unacceptable the double standard Christians have with their beliefs, separation of church and state doesn't exist blah blah, that's another topic.

The fact is, is that the teacher blatantly discriminated her because of her religious "beliefs".

I agree.
The teacher was out of line, but so was your kid.
If a child on their own has made a decision and taken action then the child has to understand that they're responsible for the results of said decision/action.

If you say they’re both wrong, fine. The child walking out of school is another inappropriate action that should be addressed as well. just my .02

Trust me her leaving school IS completely bs. She should have went to the counselor or something like that but she is in trouble for leaving school that is inexcusable.

I guess a good question concerning the walking out of school bit... Was she out cutting class with her friends instead of being in school, or legitimatly upset and went straight home?

Big difference here. She likely should have reported straight to the principals office and reported what was going on and called you... If she was just out doing whatever with her friends instead of being in school, then she is at fault. Just so long as she knows cutting class is not ok.

JMHO

edit: Similar things happened to me in HS. I was more than happy to march down to the office and let them know how I felt I was being treated by their employees. In the times I was actually justified in doing so (not just being an angsty teenager) I often received satisfactory results. Standing up for yourself almost always works better than running away.

Again, JMO... Hope it all works out, and your daughter isn't singled as an outsider amongst her peers.

Last edited:
Well for just being out of highschool for a few years, I would say the walking out wasn't the best thing; but being called a terrorist is bad cause if some kid over heard and said something you could be talking to the FBI or DOD because they look into cases of suspected terrosism regardless of whom it might concern
Posted via Mobile Device

I greyed early from raising a girl... a friend of mine is completely bald. He raised three girls. :laugh:

It's easy to be a kid while it's never easy being a parent. :thumbsup:

Happy parent day to all! Not everyday is a walk in the park. These situations really test our own abilites in the guidance and potential growth to a child's life. :bowdown:

I dont have a clue what its like to be a female, but if that was a male you can bet he would of said something back to the teacher. If that was me I would of degraded that teacher in front of the class like she did me. I know its not right, but back then, I like so many others didnt care.

I have 4 boys and they know how to handle themselves. If they choose the wrong way, then they will except the punishment. I want to believe that me being a Kempo instructor and teaching my boys has taught them discipline, but some things just set teenagers off and they do stupid things.

Well, I think you should kick your daughter's ass, but that's just my opinion.
Tell her she's damn lucky to even have the ability to say the Pledge of Allegiance, nevermind a school in which to say it! She could be living in one of those countries where at her age she'd already be married to a man 40 years older than her, have to wear a veil in public, and not educated beyond the ability to count to ten.
But that's just my opinion.

I also think that you'll find your daughter isn't telling you the whole story. - I've never known a teenage girl who didn't lie when they got into trouble.

Well, I think you should kick your daughter's ass, but that's just my opinion.
Tell her she's damn lucky to even have the ability to say the Pledge of Allegiance, nevermind a school in which to say it! She could be living in one of those countries where at her age she'd already be married to a man 40 years older than her, have to wear a veil in public, and not educated beyond the ability to count to ten.
But that's just my opinion.

I also think that you'll find your daughter isn't telling you the whole story. - I've never known a teenage girl who didn't lie when they got into trouble.

Already did!!!!! Like i said, we shall see what the school has to say.

Dam all this makes me realise that our kids are screwed cause from the sounds of it eveyone is ready to deport the kid for not doing what they expect, and as far as those other countries that realy doesn't hold water unless your ignorant to current developments or your thinking of countries where there is no education for either gender
Posted via Mobile Device

Back