Very Stiff

Dscahill

Registered
So here's the back story:

I bought a 2003 busa with 10k on the clock after it was wrecked. Nothing too bad, just a bent fairing stay in the front with broken mirrors, a broken slave cylinder cover and pushrod, with broken fairings. The bike starts and runs strong. Here is my problem; after finally getting some time to begin the rebuilding project I get the slave cyl cover reinstalled and holy mother is this thing stiff. I took off the clutch cover and the clutch is fully pressed outward when the clutch lever is in its resting position. It has been taken apart, cleaned and reassembled multiple times yet, something is still not right.

Any suggestions on where to look or something that may be wrong?

Thanks

-D

Is the push rod for the slave cylinder straight?
If it's bent it'll bind and make the clutch pull harder.
Just a possibility and something to check.

If I understand what you're doing and what has happened to the slave cylinder, I would say to check out the slave cylinder AND the
clutch lever/mechanism that pushes the plunger in on the slave cylinder. Take the lever off and make sure everything works smoothly.
If the slave cylinder was outside at any time with the cover off or broken then there's the possibility that water/moisture could have
gotten into the inside and rusted something which would make it stiff.
Without seeing it, that's about all I can suggest.
Good luck on your project. Sounds like you've picked up a nice bike..!!!
BB

If I understand what you're doing and what has happened to the slave cylinder, I would say to check out the slave cylinder AND the
clutch lever/mechanism that pushes the plunger in on the slave cylinder. Take the lever off and make sure everything works smoothly.
If the slave cylinder was outside at any time with the cover off or broken then there's the possibility that water/moisture could have
gotten into the inside and rusted something which would make it stiff.
Without seeing it, that's about all I can suggest.
Good luck on your project. Sounds like you've picked up a nice bike..!!!
BB

Think he ment to say master cylinder. Still easy enough to check.

Thanks! I have a few more things to check then!

I wouldn't say its nice...yet, but soon enough!

-D

unnamed-2.jpg

Well, with the bleeder on the slave cylinder open, the master cyl acts as you'd expect. This leads me to either the slave is seized or there is an internal clutch issue.. thoughts?

-D

The slave cylinder just pushes into the seal in the housing.
It will be easy to tell if it's stuck or not.

Back