velocity racing turbo

why do people make it sound like you need to be a mechanical genious to install entry level turbo kit?

VRS1

8 bolts hold header on. torque to factory specs. (if you can install an aftermarket exhaust you can do this)
at that time you remove the pair valve and relocate the fan.

4 hose clamps seal the plenum to the TBs. You remove motormount bolts to install tiedowns. REAL HARD. Up pipe requires 2 hoses clamps WOW!!!!!

route vaccum lines to regulator and boost guage as instructions SHOULD show.

mod '01+ fuel pump. dissassemble, drill hole, add port fitting, reassemble. (super easy if you have an older model)

pump fuel line per instructions.

you remove a plug on the side of the engine and add oil line from engine to turbo. measure return line to oil pan. mark oil pan. remove oil pan. Drill pan, add fitting, reinstall pan.

PROBLEM IS THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE TERRIBLE. Mine didn't even have instructions to set up their regulator.

Velocity either needs to write some better more detailed instructions or sell them as install only. I haven't heard of a customer yet to date who hasn't had to call for tech support.
thats pretty much the point!!! If it is so easy, why do you shoot your mouth off about the instructions? Some people have no problem at all, and some need to call. Either way, the installs get done.

Now, as for suzuki4life, he bought one to copy the kit. My question is, if all this turbo system making business is so easy, and we are so over priced, why are you not making them like you started to do. Show us how its done please!!! Its so easy for people(obviously without much of a life) to sit behind the keyboard and shoot off their mouths, while we are working 14 hour days developing new and better products. Our systems are not perfect all the time,but you will find no one that will say that we do not take care of a problem if there is one!!!

Suz, your constant attempts to slander my company is getting old. Get over it already. Barry

Thanks for your reply Barry. I am sure that there are some of your clients that will be glad to hear of the additional help that is available to them.

Actually it is not worth or board time either. <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>All</span> please stick to the facts. Good facts or bad facts, but no prsonal attacks if you can at all avoid them.

Actually it is not worth or board time either.  <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>All</span> please stick to the facts.  Good facts or bad facts, but no prsonal attacks if you can at all avoid them.
I always stick to the facts. Unfortunately they don't matter most of the time with groupies running so rampant.

How about Barry editing his post of everything he can't prove. Oh so basically he needs to delete it.

SO sorry for telling the facts.

I have been doing some research about going with motorheads kit and on suzbusa.org there is a really good write up on the install and also on stedmans site there is a 67 page instrcution manual on how to do it, starting out with taking off the fairings.

whew, man. Hasn't this become a slug fest.

It is much easier to make a prototype and a one-off system than it is to make a production of turbo's. Especially when you're a small company which usually ends up pawning out work to independant fabricators....it creates a lot of headaches and I personally am glad that I have never had to do this. Making one-offs is hard enough.

In a perfect world, turbo systems that are built for people would be test-fitted and dyno'd, but the amount of labor that is involved is just not feasible.

The reason prices run so high is pretty simple. There is low demand for turbo systems on bikes. You look at a Mazda Miata, there is 100's of thousands out there. You build a system for it, you will get a lot more orders for it.

The other thing to consider, most bike turbo makers are using HIGH quality parts. $250 BOV's, external waste gates, etc. Many cheap car kits are using stock internal waste gates on turbo's, no BOV, etc. I'm quite happy with my "cheap" BOV and internal waste gate....but then it takes more knowledge and effort to tune them properly.

I keep playing with the idea of doing it for a living, but I've already sold just one kit so far....and I lost a lot of money on it (it was my old system that I had no more use for it...) and the guy I sold it to is pretty mechanicly inclined, but it has still eaten up a LOT of my time trying to make sure he had all the information he needs for it. If I had to do that with several people at once, I wouldn't have any time to make systems, I'd be on the phone constantly
smile.gif

Even a poorly made system is an acheivement, although you don't feel that as a customer when you shell out the big bucks, but there's not nearly as much profit in the kits as you might assume.....it doesn't change anything, but understand that this isn't some simplistic equation. There is a lot involved in all this, more than is obvious by the unitiated.

Actually it is not worth or board time either.  <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>All</span> please stick to the facts.  Good facts or bad facts, but no prsonal attacks if you can at all avoid them.
I always stick to the facts. Unfortunately they don't matter most of the time with groupies running so rampant.

How about Barry editing his post of everything he can't prove. Oh so basically he needs to delete it.

SO sorry for telling the facts.
No personal attacks is meant for ALL, no matter who it is. You will also not see any groupies over here at all. No reason for it at this site. Thee s psitive and negative to all turbo kits. You have pointed out many of these, please continue to do so.

Back