Valve Question

AZRider

Registered
Ive got 07 busa 19,000 miles and Im going to do a valve check. Awhile back when cleaning my bmc filter I noticed dirt on the clean side of the air box. So i did some investigating and realized that the foam gasket on the bmc was not thick enough to keep out the dirt and was letting the particles into the intake. I have since removed that foam gasket and replaced it with some foam door seal. Please take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Also I noticed carbon buildup on the intake valves and was wondering if this was a substantial amount or normal?

Thanks

011.jpg

012.jpg

010.jpg

looks similiar to anothe pic posted awhile back, folks said normal. Some sea foam will help clean things up. See what the pro's have to say

Ive tried using lucas injector cleaner, have no idea if it actually worked. Just seems like if my bmc filter was letting stuff through theres a good chance its doing it with other bikes

Lucas injector cleaner and seafoam are two different animals. Lucas was designed and purposed as an uppercylinder lubricant for high rpm tight tolerance engines with caustic fuels while running rich and causing cylinder wash down. It is an oil based lubricant to reduce cylinder and ring wear. They included a small amount of detergent to allow it to be marketed as an injector cleaner for everyday automotive use resulting in a larger customer base. If you look at the bottle the larger print is UPPER CYLINDER LUBRICANT with Injector cleaner. Smell it. No scent.

On the other hand sea foam is a petroleum distillate with aggressive detergents. Sea foam will remove carbon, sludge, varnish while displacing water and improving the quality of old fuel.

Although running it through the tank at half a bottle per tank or one bottle for 8 gallons is a good fuel system and injector cleaner.... Getting the aerosol can of it and spraying a half a can through the vacuum line you use to sync the throttle bodies, and the other half fogged in the throttle bodies while running high idle makes a world of difference.

The trick is to nearly stall it out and kill it. Let it sit 15 minutes and fire it up. Will smoke like a train for a few minutes. Any cleaner that doesn't cause smoke isn't removing anything.

I usually replace those plugs after a that tank of fuel is used up.
Posted via Mobile Device

heres what mine looked liked. i dont pump gas at cumberlands and such places anymore. i've also used seafoam but havent looked if there's been any improvements. guess i should.

bad vales2.jpg

bad valves.jpg

i have a question simular to these pics, when i took my engine out and replaced my clutch and my 2nd gear, all my intake valves looked PERFECT except 1 which was the first left one on the 1st cylinder..... all the others looked brand new... btw 33k miles

depending on what it looks like with your mileage and the fact that only one valve shows depositis I would look at the valve guide. Could be that some oil is weeping past it.
i have a question simular to these pics, when i took my engine out and replaced my clutch and my 2nd gear, all my intake valves looked PERFECT except 1 which was the first left one on the 1st cylinder..... all the others looked brand new... btw 33k miles

to the original poster I would say they look ok and use sea-foam a few times to clean em out and if your really ambitious. get a vacuum line like what viperarm was saying and I always did an I V with a butterfly valve looking thing with sea-foam (instead of the spray) and ran it till it almost died, than let it smoke out, than ran it (at a higher RPM 4-5ish) than ran the rest of the bottle through and go for a ride... lol and you should be smoking so much that James Bond would be jealous. and your valves should be lookin like new... I wouldn't be TOO worried about damage of small particulates getting into the motor. unless there might be something more going on and that's blowby oil on the intake.?

just wondering if anybody saw cleaner intake valves on their next inspection after using seafoam. I have the same condition,as AZrider and Busa-saga Is carbon build up like this common? I realize this is an old thread sorry (new at proper procedures online )

Adjust the Valves, and run a few bottles of Lucas engine cleaner!
As for a solution for the build up on the valves, ride it like you stole it, and stop wondering about fuel mileage!

It will help in the the reduction of the build up, but it wont get rid of all of it!

When it is need ed a complete valve job will totally fix the problem!
So in other words,, ride it like you stole it!

Back