Intake valves dirty?

69chevydr

Registered
Took my airbox off to change plugs in the bike and decided to get my bore scope out and take a look down the throttle bodies to see what the intake valves looked like . Wish I hadn't ,about 3 out of the 8 intake valves had exccessive tar like buildup around the valve stem,enough to affect intake flow I think.(or at least cause some turbulence). Is there anything on the market that can clean this stuff off ? I assume it is from the brand gas I am using(always the same brand with 8k on engine)

Try a different brand of fuel if you like, but it will probably look the same...some residue is normal in the throttle bodies and on the valve surfaces.

This is not so much residue but more like a tar build up , if I wasn't afraid a piece would fall into the engine or get hung up on the valve seat ,Iwould try to scrape it off. And I am going with a diff. brand gas now. Thanks

This is not so much residue but more like a tar build up , if I wasn't afraid a piece would fall into the engine or get hung up on the valve seat ,Iwould try to scrape it off. And I am going with a diff. brand gas now. Thanks

Try a couple of tanks of a different brand of fuel and some injector cleaner...I like Redline's SI 1 injector cleaner...then check it again with your scope.

**** Red Line Oil: Fuel Additives ****

pretty normal deposits for any motor... as posted above an added detergent will help.. What brand fuel have you been running?

I used Techron for years in motors and had fairly decent luck with it.. Only caveat is in "some" older fuel systems, it cleans "too well" and can cause filter fouling (or screens)

pretty normal deposits for any motor... as posted above an added detergent will help.. What brand fuel have you been running?

I used Techron for years in motors and had fairly decent luck with it.. Only caveat is in "some" older fuel systems, it cleans "too well" and can cause filter fouling (or screens)

I've used nothing but Texaco gas in it for the 8k on it .

Mine look the same way.Tried bg 44k but have checked them again.Ran the whole can through a little at a time over a few tank's of fuel.Bike runs fine.

Back