Valve adjustment question

bishop2072

Registered
I read a post about a "knocking" sound at around 1900 rpms. It seems like there is a concensus that it generally means the valves need to be adjusted. My question is this: since I'm not mechanically inclined and can't do this myself...what might I expect to pay to have this done? Do I need to worry too much about it?

Thanks!!

I expect about $400, however, a knocking sound is not conclusive proof that the valves need to be adjusted. How many miles do you have on the bike and have the valve clearances ever been checked?

--Wag--

It's an '07. It had about 3300 miles on it in last February and now has 6700 miles (I like to ride). I personally have not had the clearances checked. I've had the bike since Feb and have had it serviced twice...just oil change and filter.

I'm betting the knocking sound is something else. The book specs out a tappet check at 15,000 miles and rarely do they ever need to be adjusted. To have the shop check should only cost about $150 but if you're at all mechanically inclined, it's pretty easy to check yourself.

Now, about that knocking sound? Any other descriptive things you can give us? Is it on one side of the bike more than the other? Does it have the right amount of oil in it? Not too much or too little.

The power plant is pretty noisy so next question is, did this knocking just crop up recently or has it been in there all along?

That should get us to the next level.

:D

--Wag--

It's an '07. It had about 3300 miles on it in last February and now has 6700 miles (I like to ride). I personally have not had the clearances checked. I've had the bike since Feb and have had it serviced twice...just oil change and filter.

50,000+ miles to first valve adjustment on my '05 (I really like to ride).

I'm at 58,000 miles and still haven't had to adjust mine. All were well within tolerance at the 45,000 mile check.

--Wag--

I would say valve adjustment would be not be on my list of things to check if I had knocking. As wag asked is this symptom new or has it developed over time.

I'm betting the knocking sound is something else. The book specs out a tappet check at 15,000 miles and rarely do they ever need to be adjusted. To have the shop check should only cost about $150 but if you're at all mechanically inclined, it's pretty easy to check yourself.

Now, about that knocking sound? Any other descriptive things you can give us? Is it on one side of the bike more than the other? Does it have the right amount of oil in it? Not too much or too little.

The power plant is pretty noisy so next question is, did this knocking just crop up recently or has it been in there all along?

That should get us to the next level.

:D

--Wag--
Wags on the money as usual :thumbsup: The knocking sound is more likely to signify throttle bodies possibly out of synch, which causes the clutch to "knock" around those rpm's...especially in neutral.

I know the description of the sound is vague and perhaps "knocking" isn't the precise word. It's hard to explain. There's a big bike show in Tulsa this weekend and I think some of our Tulsa area members will be there. Maybe I can get one of them to listen to it. It seems like the issue fired up within the last month. I just had the bike serviced and the sound remained so I don't think it's oil level related. The throttle sync sounds very logical...but I'm so ignorant you could tell me I have rogue hamsters in the engine...and I might just believe it! :laugh:

Pull the clutch in. If the noise goes away = Needs a Sync.

Knock at 1,900rpm could be wrist pin. Ticking sound like valves could be a brunt piston skirt as it 'slaps' on TDC on the reverse skirt on the way down to BDC then that tick on the way up and the tick on the way down can be confusing if all valves are within spec.

I'm getting on the Throttle Body Synch bandwagon here too. I usually feel it in my handlebars before I hear it, though. If you can feel that knocking in the handlebars, that's a nearly sure sign that the synch is in order.

Also easy to do, recommended every 7,500 miles anyway and you're close to needing that. Pull it apart, change the plugs, then synch the throttle bodies and you're good until the next 7,500 mile service.

Still, if you can get one of the guys to listen to it and push you in the right direction, it couldn't hurt.

--Wag--

I'm getting on the Throttle Body Synch bandwagon here too. I usually feel it in my handlebars before I hear it, though. If you can feel that knocking in the handlebars, that's a nearly sure sign that the synch is in order.

Also easy to do, recommended every 7,500 miles anyway and you're close to needing that. Pull it apart, change the plugs, then synch the throttle bodies and you're good until the next 7,500 mile service.

Still, if you can get one of the guys to listen to it and push you in the right direction, it couldn't hurt.

--Wag--

I can usually smell it in the exhaust at idle when the TBs are out of sync before noticing anything else. +1 on syncing every 7,500 miles

Back