Valve Adjustement price

cnjdawson

Registered
The local Suzuki dealership wants 4 hours labor to adjust the valves on the busa. 3 hours just to check the clearance and 1 hour to remove the cam to add shims if needed. Does this sound fair? This service dept. has been known to screw people.

sounds high... but could be wrong
rock.gif

Is'nt the average prive for valve adjustment somewhere around 250-300 bucks? I could be wrong though

if it's a bike dealership service dept... haha.. chances are you can get it done cheaper.

just got mine done at the stealership about 2 weeks ago. I have the prepaid maintenance though. I didn't have to pay a dime this time. But what they had on the paper invoice for my record was: sparkplugs, airfilter, oil & filter change, chain check and adjustment (which I know they did because it went in tighter than it should be and came back looser), and the valve adjustment. 5.5 hours listed labor at $70/hour = about $380 + parts about $505 total if I didn't have the prepaid. So if you just want the valve adjustment and only that I was say that Busahaya is within range.

I know that they teared off both side fairings (I could tell from the gap in the inner fairings afterwards that wasn't there when I bought it in). I believe it's quite a bit of work for them. 4 hours worth??? Maybe not with a experience tech. But that maybe the industry "Mitchell" book rating.

I know I had to leave it with them overnight because the valve adjustment had to be done "stone" cold.

I did notice a slight difference after I got it back in that the valve tapping noise at idle was reduced for me to not really hear it anymore. Word of advice is to see what the Mom & Pop shop will charge to do it. Just get a receipt to prove that it was done for you record.

Thanks for all the input. I guess the dealer isn't to out of line. Good thing the beast only needs it every 15k. I'll probably go with the one with the fastest service. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the input.  I guess the dealer isn't to out of line.  Good thing the beast only needs it every 15k.  I'll probably go with the one with the fastest service.  Thanks again.
Having done one myself, I'd say thats a reasonable # hrs.

The real question is: do you trust them to do it correctly and then get all the parts back on correctly?

BTW, I doubt they will need adjustment at 15K.

Hey Lebowski, I trust this shops work, they just like to overcharge for labor. The service manager is very knowledgable and a perfectionist. Its Full Throttle Motorsports if your familiar with Lansing.

Hey Lebowski,  I trust this shops work, they just like to overcharge for labor.  The service manager is very knowledgable and a perfectionist.  Its Full Throttle Motorsports if your familiar with Lansing.
Never used them, but my I think bro has used them occasionally for his R1. I do 99% of my own work since I have had really bad experiences (like having a tire lock up at 60mph) with letting other ppl work on my $hit.

Personally I'd just do it myself, or at least I'd check clearances myself. Feeler gages are cheap and checking them is easy, re-shimming is a little harder but not too bad if you are organized. Most likey everything is fine.

THE AMOUNT OF TIME TO DO THE JOB IS ABOUT RIGHT. Especially if they shim correct. I would not have it done at a dealer. Look for some of the pros that we have on this site and get them to do it. It is not a matter of the money it is how well they will do it. Most deatlers do not even keep a complete shim set.

THE AMOUNT OF TIME TO DO THE JOB IS ABOUT RIGHT. Especially if they shim correct. I would not have it done at a dealer. Look for some of the pros that we have on this site and get them to do it. It is not a matter of the money it is how well they will do it. Most deatlers do not even keep a complete shim set.

Not only do they not keep complete sets, they don't use in stock shims and instead order from the dealership directly a new set and charge you for them usually. the shims for the gen 1 are interchangeable with the zx-12++.

Man I'm surprised that people can afford to buy a busa. You should have all service and tires, gear and gas money in the bank before you take on such a project. Sure it's ok to finance the bike but don't let it sit because you can't afford a tire or a scheduled service. You know there's some states you can go to jail for that. You broke people are giving real busa owners a bad name. The busa is not a cheap bike don't get cheap now.

Having done one myself, I'd say thats a reasonable # hrs.

The real question is: do you trust them to do it correctly and then get all the parts back on correctly?

BTW, I doubt they will need adjustment at 15K.
The dealerships are all about hurry hurry to stay within their time frame. You'll for sure come back with a few extra scratches and most likely some loose/missing/improperly installed fasteners or parts. And thats hoping they actually take the time to properly check/adjust the valves. You could probably get a much better job done cheaper at a smaller private shop.
But your valves won't need adjusting at 15000 anyway, even though the shop will tell you they did to make the extra money :whistle:
The majority of japanese dealerships have no class, bad bad bad imo :banghead:

Back