Valentine 1`Radar detector--a cheaper alternative

My new V-1 works fine in my truck, but so far, it hasn't worked on the bike. On the Busa, it's wired into the rear running light, with the remote audio module outputted to a single earbud speaker. I mounted it in the nose fairing first, then tried the tail section. The problem is, at random (and frequent) intervals, all the LEDS light up, like it's cylcling through on startup. BEEPITY BEEP BEEP every 5-10 seconds...... I tried wiring it directly to the battery, same thing. Is something susceptible to normal frame vibration? Anyone familiar with, or have a solution to this? Thanks--

mine is wired to the rear tail light and no problems. Make sure you have it in the logic mode...........L mode on the indicator.

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 23 December 1999).]

John Smith ...

The V1 laser detection is very sensitive to light (or actually, lack of light). Try covering the rear sensor with your finger, you'll see the effect (I've also seen it get confused with flashing objects). I think the laser sensing device is a bit too aggressive sometimes. As long as it's got a clear path in front and behind, it should be okay. Since you're hiding it within the cowling (where you'll never detect a laser signal anyway), I would recommend disabling laser mode.

--Felix
coco@att.com

Sorry I missed it before ...

I've had no problem with side or rear detection with the radar unit mounted on the fork stem. As I understand it, radar signals will pass through plastic, flesh, etc. with very little signal loss; laser light, however, will not. But, laser light bouncing off reflective materials will be received by the V1's front/rear sensors but with much less accuracy. I have never personally seen a "legitimate" laser sense here in Florida from the V1 (most are false alarms from strobing neon signs) and was even thinking of disabling laser detection.

As for weather protection, large plastic zip-lock bag to cover radar unit; no protection for remote display (very little water ever reaches back over the gauge area with the Zero Gravity DB). Will usually turn radar off during storms since radar is not accurate during rains and speeds are slower (also, I don't know how much heat the V1 can take while being "steamed").

Hope this answers your question,
--Felix

[This message has been edited by coco (edited 24 December 1999).]

Guys, the V-1 is very sensitive. In July Valentine addressed the problem by shipping all units with a filter in the little phone jack module. This should help. If you have a detector that's older than that you may want to order one.
The main thing to watch out for is induction current picked up by running your power lead through the area on the left side near the wire bundles and the fuse box. You don't have to be connected to a wire there to have this happen. the most common symptom of the problem is a false alarm with all LEDs lighting up, usually between 3000 and 4000 rpm, and it's worse in the lower gears.
Can't say if the new filter will allow you to run the power up the left side. It might.
I crossed over to the right side of the bike under the upper frame rail just in front of the battery to stay away from the problem area. Replaced my jack with the new filtered one(it only took 3 days to arrive)and the problem instantly went away. Now it runs exactly like it does in my car. Forget disabling the laser or constantly using the big L. This will solve the problem.

Back