USS NEW YORK

proud dad

Registered
USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, 'those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence,' recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. 'It was a spiritual moment for everybody there.'

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the 'hair on my neck stood up.' 'It had a big meaning to it for all of us,' he said. 'They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back.'

The ship's motto? 'Never Forget'

Please keep this going so everyone can see what we are made of in this country

USS_New_York.jpg

That's a pic of the USS San Antonio
beerchug.gif
Cant wait to see the New York. Awesome that it's being built from the WTC steel
bowdown.gif

USS New York (LPD-21), a San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock, is the fifth ship of the United States Navy to be named for the state of New York. The ship is designed to deliver a fully-equipped battalion of 700 Marines.

Shortly after 11 September 2001, Governor of New York George E. Pataki wrote a letter to Secretary of the Navy Gordon England requesting that the Navy bestow the name USS New York on a surface warship involved in the War on Terror in honor of September 11's victims. In his letter, the Governor said he understood state names are currently reserved for submarines, but asked for special consideration so the name could be given to a surface ship. The request was approved 28 August 2002.

Oddly enough, a previous holder of the name, USS New York (BB-34), had its keel laid on September 11, 1911, exactly 90 years to the day before the WTC was attacked.

Twenty-four tons of the steel used in its construction came from the small amount of rubble from the World Trade Center actually preserved for posterity. Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. It was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003. With seven tons melted down and cast to form the ship's "stem bar" "â€￾ part of the ship's bow.[1] The shipyard workers reportedly treated it with "reverence usually accorded to religious relics", gently touching it as they walked by.[2]

On 9 September 2004, the Secretary of the Navy announced that two of her sister ships will be named Arlington and Somerset, in commemoration of the places two of the other planes used in the attack came down: Somerset, Pennsylvania and Arlington, Virginia.

The contract to build New York was awarded to Northrop Grumman Ship Systems of New Orleans, Louisiana in 2003.

The ship also survived Hurricane Katrina.

I think it is cool that the made the New York out of the World Trade Center Steel but it sure had allot of sailors worried about carma of the ship you know how sailors are superstitious when is comes to sea going vessels.

That is very cool. Thanks for the lesson Proud Dad. Information like that always interests me.

That's an even more fitting memorial than a sculpture or fixed structure, I think...

Thanks for sharing!

I watched a show on cable about what was done with the leftover steel from the trade centers. I think the show also said that alot of the steel went to Japan.

I wish that they would've made missle and bomb casings out of some of it too, so they could give back to the responsible parties too.
beerchug.gif

I watched a show on cable about what was done with the leftover steel from the trade centers. I think the show also said that alot of the steel went to Japan.

Then we will all be riding it some of it oneday.

WE won't forget either Proud Dad.

Canadians lost

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Accommodating more than 33,000 passengers and aircrew was a huge challenge for the Canadian communities, who welcomed the large number of passengers and accommodated them in their homes and public facilities. Many lasting friendship were developed during the days that these thousands of stranded passengers were welcomed into Canadaian homes.[/quote]

RSD.

canusa.jpg

Back