Very Fast USNavy Warship

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
This image provided by the US Navy shows the littoral combat ship Independence (LCS 2) underway during builder's trials on July 12, 2009.

Builder's trials are the first opportunity for the shipbuilder and the U.S. Navy to operate the ship underway, and provide an opportunity to test and correct issues before acceptance trials.

The second of the Navy's new generation of speedy warships designed to operate close to shore topped 50 miles per hour in builder trials completed this month.

Officials say the Independence, a 418-foot ship built in Alabama, traveled in excess of 45 knots, which equates to nearly 52 mph, and sustained 44 knots during a four-hour, full-speed sprint.
(AP Photo/Dennis Griggs - US Navy)

Holy crap! That's what I'm going to call the "Hayabusa of Warships"

Dayum.

:usa: Kudos, again, USA!!! :usa:

Independence1.jpg

Independence.jpg

Independence3.jpg

This image provided by the US Navy shows the littoral combat ship Independence (LCS 2) underway during builder's trials on July 12, 2009.

Builder's trials are the first opportunity for the shipbuilder and the U.S. Navy to operate the ship underway, and provide an opportunity to test and correct issues before acceptance trials.

The second of the Navy's new generation of speedy warships designed to operate close to shore topped 50 miles per hour in builder trials completed this month.

Officials say the Independence, a 418-foot ship built in Alabama, traveled in excess of 45 knots, which equates to nearly 52 mph, and sustained 44 knots during a four-hour, full-speed sprint.
(AP Photo/Dennis Griggs - US Navy)

Holy crap! That's what I'm going to call the "Hayabusa of Warships"

Dayum.

:usa: Kudos, again, USA!!! :usa:

Wow, Hayabusa ship. No kidding!:beerchug:

Innovation is awsome...what is out there and by the time regular press/people see it..to late..there is always something better in the works.

They won't tell us the true top speed, that ship, by design, will go faster.

Last edited:
I'm still in absolute wonderment as to what it'd be like to go four solid hours across the ocean at 44+ knots.

Craziness.

I can't wait until they release more details, like ship's complement, number of them planned for commissioning, etc. Most of the REALLY interesting details won't be declassified for years to come, I'm sure.

That's just plain old WOW.

ahem...cannot help it but must do some bragging here. P.S. Scar, do not mean to jack your thread, man

I had the privilege of being stationed on one of the platforms used to test ideas/concepts/principles that eventually came to fruition in what is now known as the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS).

Here it is (yes, it will crack 50 knots), the HSV-X1 Joint Venture (High Speed Vessel, Experimental 1)

hsv-x1_020802-n-8894m-003.jpg

hsv-x1_020403-n-0780f-001.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still in absolute wonderment as to what it'd be like to go four solid hours across the ocean at 44+ knots.

Craziness.

I can't wait until they release more details, like ship's complement, number of them planned for commissioning, etc. Most of the REALLY interesting details won't be declassified for years to come, I'm sure.

That's just plain old WOW.

Worked creww process models on the USS Independence the first one. Very small crew.

The USS Freedom is the first of two dramatically different LCS designs being produced; the other, USS Independence (LCS-2), is a trimaran under construction by a team led by General Dynamics' Bath Iron Works and Austal USA in Mobile, Alabama. USS Freedom is designed to be a fast, maneuverable and networked surface combatant for missions such as anti-mine warfare, anti-submarine warfare, surface warfare and humanitarian relief.[10]

The ship is a semi-planing steel monohull with an aluminum superstructure. It is 377 feet (115 m) in length, displaces 3,000 tonnes and can go faster than 45 knots (52 mph; 83 km/h). The design incorporates a large reconfigurable seaframe to allow rapidly interchangeable mission modules, a flight deck with integrated helicopter launch, recovery and handling system and the capability to launch and recover boats (manned and unmanned) from both the stern and side.

The flight deck is 1.5 times the size of that of a standard surface ship, and uses a Trigon traversing system to move helicopters in and out of the hangar. The ship has two ways to launch and recover various mission packages: a stern ramp and a starboard side door near the waterline. The mission module bay has a 3-axis crane for positioning modules or cargo.[11] The fore deck has a modular weapons zone which can be used for a 57 mm gun turret or missile launcher. A Rolling Airframe Missile launcher is mounted above the hangar for short-range defense against aircraft and cruise missiles, and .50-caliber gun mounts are provided topside.

The core crew will be 40 sailors, usually joined by a mission package crew and an aviation detachment for a total crew of about 75.

Very cool! :thumbsup: You can see both of them are focusing on minimal radar cross section (RCS) much the same low radar type profile and materials as the stealth fighters. This is the future of all Navy ships.
While no aircraft or ship for that matter is totally invisible to radar, stealth construction and materials prevent conventional radar from detecting or tracking the ship effectively, reducing the odds of an attack.
GOOD STUFF!:usa:

Them DumbAzz Pirates are in for a surprise, not the French Navy :laugh: "u hear somthin coming?....." :rofl:

2_62_a320[1].jpg

Last edited:
One thing I should note: I had read that the 52 mph was AVERAGE speed over those 4 hours. Also, they were going into a 30kt headwind with 8-10 ft seas.

Back