Urban Legend..bolt/slip ons no power gains?

Ken Wheeler's dyno in Robbinsville NC showed mine at 147 stock.

With bolt ons (super sexy carbon fiber Yosh Tri Ovals) and a Power Commander it went to a whopping 155 after an hour of tuning it.

I'd say that bolt ons really just look and sound better and that I wasted money on the PC... BUT if I dont waste money on the bike at least once a month I turn into a pumpkin so whats worse?
The only way to really tell what the slipons did would be to tune before they are installed. Install and tune again.
+1

And let's not loose sight of the fact that the "wrong" exhuast system can actually rob you of power. Depends on mods... tuner... size of the pipe...

I do have to say that the slip ons did not provide anywhere near the midrange performance gain that was acheived with the full system, and if I had to do it again I would just go straight for the full system.

Just for information purposes . the 08 Busa mufflers weight 16 pounds each. Thats unclamped from the front mount. the catalytic box and pipes weigh a bit more im sure. I don't know what a set of slip ons for 08 would weigh, but it has to be less than that,lol.

Ken Wheeler's dyno in Robbinsville NC showed mine at 147 stock.

With bolt ons (super sexy carbon fiber Yosh Tri Ovals) and a Power Commander it went to a whopping 155 after an hour of tuning it.

I'd say that bolt ons really just look and sound better and that I wasted money on the PC... BUT if I dont waste money on the bike at least once a month I turn into a pumpkin so whats worse?
if your bike made 147 hp stock, you had problems from the get go.

People don't say that bolt on are useless.....they say that they aren't cost effective in comparison to a full system.

Second...I am assuming you are saying you dyno'd the bike the same day and at the same place after the install.(if not your info is uselss) What was the difference in temps from the first reading to the second?

Temp and humidity will change your output more than your slip ons will.
Absolutely right Gary.
As we all know, a Busa comes from the factory in rich state.
This on may have been exceptionally rich.
When adding the mufflers, it probably leaned it out enough for a couple of hp gain, then the addition of the PC and the tune, put it inline where it needed to be.
For what it's worth, I put a PC on my bike with nothing but a small box mod and Johnny only tuned it for about 15-30 minutes and it made 164.4 and 102tq.
Also, just for the folks that don't know. Johnny's dyno is known for being greedy!
Just before my bike, he tuned an 07 Busa with a small box mod and a Big Bird pipe and it made 169, which is right in line to where it should be.

I also have a pair of Yosh bolt on mufflers. I will bring the bike and let Johnny tune it before and after if anyone wants pitch in to pay Johnny for his efforts.
I KNOW it's only gonna give me 2-3 hp, so I'm not gonna pay for Johnny's time for something that he and I already know.

Long story short,
the LARGE gains are from getting the bike properly tuned with a PC, not necessarily the mufflers.
ALL Busas come from the factory needing some tuning help.

At the 'busa level of hp, even stock, if it is just used on the street, how badly do you really need the extra 2% hp?

What I need in an exhaust mod is:

- no area where the power drops under the stock curve
- maximum loss of weight (rules out slip-ons right there)
- as close to stock sound levels as possible
- it's not worth doing if it isn't mapped properly

I just recently passed the break in mileage and am getting used to using full throttle through to redline in first gear. I might as well get comfortable with it stock before modding.

Torque and accurate fuel metering rule on the street.

Blue1

Blue,
most folks buy a pipe and then the PC.
Go against the grain and buy the PC first, do a small box mod(free),and have it custom tuned.
You'll be suprised. Those 3 things will settle your pocket for another few months.
beerchug.gif

Blue,
most folks buy a pipe and then the PC.
Go against the grain and buy the PC first, do a small box mod(free),and have it custom tuned.
You'll be suprised. Those 3 things will settle your pocket for another few months.
beerchug.gif
Right now the weight loss is high on my list. This bike is friggin' heavy, I have a modded ZRX that is about 40 lbs lighter and feels 70 lbs lighter with the added leverage of wider 'bars and more upright riding position.

I would love to get the 'busa down close to 500 lbs, but I don't think I'll ever be able to justify some of the hardware required, like $2K+ for exotic wheels.

Blue1

480 lbs?!?!? maybe in "insane-o world". j/k that may be a "dry weight measurement, no oil, no gas, no coolant, no brake fluid, no synth blinker fluid, etc

480 lbs?!?!? maybe in "insane-o world". j/k that may be a "dry weight measurement, no oil, no gas, no coolant, no brake fluid, no synth blinker fluid, etc
Well, I did mean Dry weight, but where I was wrong was that I assumed dry weight meant just empty fuel tank. I learn something new in every post
smile.gif

I bought my slip-ons for the sound not hp. But I do need a pc because at low rpms it's feels like its not running smooth. After about 3000 it smooths out.

Back