Slip-on

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
ok   so im still trying to decide on a slip-on for my 06 gixxer 1000    i was loking at a yoshi shorty and a yoshi TRC as well

what has got me confused is that on the stock mid pipe there is a set valve and this must be disconcted with most slip ons and retained with others  

what are the advantages to keeping the valve?     i really dont want to cut the wire to the ECU for it      what will i gain or lose if i remove it?    will i lose some bottom end or will a PC with a map for that slip-on take care of it if the valve is disconected

also do i need a PC if i keep the set valve with a slip-on?

bump.gif
any 1000 guys out there?

Alright OZZ. When going to an aftermarket pipe like the TRC (which I have), you have to either remove the SET or disconnect the cables that run to the pipe. It's not useable with the full Yosh TRC (and prolly most slip-ons as well). There's no real advantage in removing the SET (other than weight, which is miniscule and not noticeable). All the SET really did with the STock system was compensate for the amount of oxygen dilution depending on throttle position and it modulated the little butterfly valve inside the midpipe. That's an emissions thing really.

The wire running into your ECU doesn't have to be "cut." YOu simply disconnect it from the harness (it tells you the specific port it's located in the instructions). But it's replaceable if you ever need to reinstall the stockers. The wire must be removed or your "FI" light will go off because of the SET removal or disconnection. So.....the entire install is not as bad as it may seem. Lemme know if you have any questions on the install

On a further note. I did the install when I was track prepping my bike, all fairings removed, front forks @ Race Tech for revalving and respring, Radiator removed, etc. This made installing the headers and the entire system a breeze.

oh thankyou so much
beerchug.gif
that makes me feel better about doing this thats good then that i dont have to cut the wire cause i dident really want to do that i will just unplug it
thumb_up.gif
some guys were telling me that the set valve will mess up the low end but i was finding that hard to believe because all the after market systems eliminate it i understand better now what i am doing and why and thankyou for the help
bowdown.gif
gonna order my goods tonight
cool.gif

Back