Upgrading my brakes!

Cuffee

Donating Member
Registered
I just order a set of the Galder steel braided lines and the EBC HH brake pads for the front and rear. It came up to $221.57! However, Shirley from www.cyclebrakes.com gave me a 10% discount for being a Hayabusa.org member.

I called the dealership where I brought my bike. They want $340 to install them. Anyone know a good place in the MD/VA/DC metro area that can install them a lot cheaper?

Thanks!

Hey Cuffe, why not install them yourself and save big $$$
I don't know how! Do you think it's an easy job?
CUFFEE: IF YOU GET A HOLD OF A HAYNES MANUAL OR THE SERVICE MANUAL, INSTALLATION WOULD BE FAIRLY SIMPLE. I BY NO MEANS AM A MECHANIC, BUT I DO TACKLE PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING. TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE FRONT BRAKES AND SEE HOW EASY THE PADS CAN BE SWAPPED OUT W/ JUST REMOVING A SMALL SCREW, TIN DUST COVER, COTTER PIN, AND PULL THE SMALL POST. DO NOT PULL THE FRONT BRAKE LEVER AT ALL DURING THIS INSTALL! GET A BRAKE BLEEDER ($35 MITYVAC) AND BLEED THE LINES ENTIRELY. THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE VERY SIMPLE. THEY WALK YOU RIGHT THROUGH IT. THIS IS NECESSARY IF YOU WANT TO DO THE ENTIRE INSTALL . AS FAR AS THE ACTUAL BRAKE LINE ITSELF, I HAVE NEVER CHANGED MINE, BUT TAKE A LOOK AT THE BIKE AND TRACE WHERE THEY RAN THE OEM LINE. I WOULDN'T THINK IT WOULD BE TOO DIFFICULT, BUT I AM NOT FOR CERTAIN ON THAT ONE. GOOD LUCK!

Its very easy... ;)

1. bleed out all front/rear brake fluid (if you are doing both front and back.)

2. I would do the pads next and then finish up with the lines, but its up to you... To do the pads, you should download the service manual which is free on this site and use those as directions for your brake pad changes...

3. The lines are cake... Un bolt and unroute and reroute...

Cloud

Its very easy... ;)

1. bleed out all front/rear brake fluid (if you are doing both front and back.)

2. I would do the pads next and then finish up with the lines, but its up to you... To do the pads, you should download the service manual which is free on this site and use those as directions for your brake pad changes...

3. The lines are cake... Un bolt and unroute and reroute...

Cloud
+1. Not hard to do at all. IMO, the rear caliper is the hardest to change out but still not too bad. Shirly will definitely take care of you.

Go for it Cuffee........
It is EASY!!
And once you get it done. You will feel So Good......you will tackle other Jobs.
"Just Do It"!
biggrin.gif

I have my GSX 1300R service manual...so I think I will try to takle this one. Thanks for all the moral support!
smile.gif

the worst part is bleeding the front, other than that its easy!!!!!
cool.gif

I would reccomend going to your local parts store and purchasing a vaccum bleeder, or see if anyone around you will let you borrow theres.

they average 30$ at parts stores, and will make bleeding your brakes a cake walk, and take 1/4 of the time if you manually did it.

I would reccomend going to your local parts store and purchasing a vaccum bleeder, or see if anyone around you will let you borrow theres.

they average 30$ at parts stores, and will make bleeding your brakes a cake walk, and take 1/4 of the time if you manually did it.
I will definitely take your advice and do just that. Thanks.

Not trying to take away any business, but go to your local auto store and by a Mightyvac. Works like a champ getting those things bled. Costs b/w $30 and $35.

Back