Unreal bargain on unreal part!

I think it would make sense to remove the stocker since I'm trying to improve handling over what it provides and I don't want any potential interference. I need to look through my service manual to see how much a pain in the ass this is going to be. :D

It';s not that big of a deal to remove.

You eval how it works without the OEM damper and i'll see how it works with it left on. I've heard of guys adding dampers and replacing dampers....seems with just about anything, there is always too schools of thought!

I'm just enjoying looking at it right now...pretty little thing! :laugh:

It';s not that big of a deal to remove.

You eval how it works without the OEM damper and i'll see how it works with it left on. I've heard of guys adding dampers and replacing dampers....seems with just about anything, there is always too schools of thought!

I'm just enjoying looking at it right now...pretty little thing! :laugh:

I sat with it for about ten minutes while I smoked, pushing it back and forth with varying degrees of force until I felt like a retard and put it back in the box.

I rode in to work today. I think it was 33 degrees. I will probably switch to the cruiser exclusively very soon, but maybe I'll have a chance to give some input on it if we have an unseasonably warm day in the near future.

I've had my current cruiser since '05. I've changed the grips, mufflers, and seat and have ridden the balls off of it. I bought the 'busa in May, and it seems like I'm always pulling a fairing, tweaking something, etc. I love this bike, lol.

I'm hoping this damper helps with some of the crappy pavement I've been riding on. The bike seems to get a little slap-happy over uneven pavement, and especially on those stretches that they patch only the outside half of the lane.

Mine came 2 days ago! Shipping out of Columbus got mine in 2 days!

So you plan on removing the stock from underneath? I'm thinking i'll just mount mine on top and see how she feels. I dont expect the lower OEM to interfere.

I don't see why they would interfere, however...I've heard that it's not a good thing and can end up bad to leave the stock one on after installing an aftermarket, just what I hear...I've personally never understood the reasoning behind that but enough to make me remove it

Last edited:
Josh, you have some of the same kinds of roads i do and im looking for the exact same thing. Everyone who uses a progressive adjustable damper has nothing but good to say about how it tames the bumps and even winds out on the road.

I've got the old FLH shovelhead for winter riding! That old Iron loves cold weather!

BTW Go Mountaineers! :cheerleader:

Josh, you have some of the same kinds of roads i do and im looking for the exact same thing. Everyone who uses a progressive adjustable damper has nothing but good to say about how it tames the bumps and even winds out on the road.

I've got the old FLH shovelhead for winter riding! That old Iron loves cold weather!

BTW Go Mountaineers! :cheerleader:

I went to Marshall, so GFY! ;)

Good luck with it. Lemme know if you have any wonkiness with both dampers installed. I'm gonna pull mine based on nothing other than a gut feeling that it makes sense, but I probably won't do the install until sometime after the holidays.

Matris makes a nice quality damper... there are others out there as well that are also less known than Ohlins, etc.

I went to Marshall, so GFY! ;)

Good luck with it. Lemme know if you have any wonkiness with both dampers installed. I'm gonna pull mine based on nothing other than a gut feeling that it makes sense, but I probably won't do the install until sometime after the holidays.

I probably wont use or install mine till spring.
Please tell me GFY means Good For You.. :whistle: :laugh:

My wife graduated from Marshall, but her Dad played for WVU. We root for both teams as well as OU...then again, i graduated from U of I...Go Fighting Illini...!!!:cheerleader:

I ordered mine even before I posted this thread and STILL haven't got it! I guess it's on a big rig somewhere near Salt Lake City in that snowstorm. Oh well, the wind is blowing at 40 knots outside and it's 30 degrees, not like I need it to ride. It is fun to fondle however (the damper). Doyle

ps Go Univ of Nevada, Reno....Wolfpack! (sorry Boise State)

Last edited:
I ordered mine even before I posted this thread and STILL haven't got it! I guess it's on a big rig somewhere near Salt Lake City in that snowstorm. Oh well, the wind is blowing at 40 knots outside and it's 30 degrees, not like I need it to ride. It is fun to fondle however (the damper). Doyle

ps Go Univ of Nevada, Reno....Wolfpack! (sorry Boise State)

Just checked the UPS tracking on mine and it's not scheduled to arrive till Monday.

Doyle, do you have any technical info or personal opinion on removing vs. leaving OEM damper when installing an aftermarket damper? I'm curious if there is a general rule about this and it appears that others are curious as well.

Just checked the UPS tracking on mine and it's not scheduled to arrive till Monday.

Doyle, do you have any technical info or personal opinion on removing vs. leaving OEM damper when installing an aftermarket damper? I'm curious if there is a general rule about this and it appears that others are curious as well.

Remove the old one.

apparently they ship with signature required... :banghead: no one is usually there when the UPS guy shows up... but apparently mine has been attempted to be delivered today

Mine came 2 days ago! Shipping out of Columbus got mine in 2 days!

So you plan on removing the stock from underneath? I'm thinking i'll just mount mine on top and see how she feels. I dont expect the lower OEM to interfere.

Too much damping can induce weave, the sensation of the frame having a hinge in the middle during a corner, so it's a good idea to remove the stock damper.

I didn't just make that up, it's in Kevin Cameron's Sportbike performance Handbook.

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

Last edited:
Ken is right, the high quality Matris unit is capable of less than.....to much more damping range than the stock unit. Its design and engineering is based on standing alone and doing a superb job. Off the stock unit! BTW,it also has the progressive "sudden need" feature that the Ohlins has, that is, increased damping commensurate with increased need. I'm so glad so many jumped on this opportunity! Doyle

I had to grab one too, blue shouldn't look too bad with Carbon Fiber...

Another great "Heads Up", thanks!

I tried installing my Matris M3 tonight, but ran into an issue. Where the damper attaches to the plate locked onto the steering head, it seems I have no threads in the ball on the damper itself for the screw to attach to. It "floats" on the screw, which is inserted up through the mounting plate. If I were to ride with it like this, it would pop off under normal steering. The arm end of the mount seems fine, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong where the damper mounts to the steering stem plate.

Did I get a bad unit? Am I not holding my mouth right? Can someone sort me out? Thanks.

The pic below shows the connection I'm having issues with.

matris-issue.jpg

Did you happen to mix up the mounting bolts? Are the mounting bolts the same length?

Did you happen to mix up the mounting bolts? Are the mounting bolts the same length?

I took a break, had a smoke and a beer, and it dawned on me. The mounting studs are pretty obvious. Two long ones through the tank mounting holes, two identical shorter ones for bolting on the damper.

You have to slide the damper cylinder out of the housing and bolt down through the ball in the housing and into the mounting plate. Then you slide the cylinder back in. The instructions that came with this thing are abysmal, lol. But it's on and the stock damper is removed (pain in the ass, don't overlook the 14mm nut on top of the mounting stud unless you want to turn that bad boy for 5 minutes and make zero progress). Test ride tomorrow, but I don't expect to really know it's there under normal circumstances.

Back