damper questions....

merisey

Donating Member
Registered
I took of the nose today and realized that a previous owner had taken off the damper and ground off the mount for it off of the triple. Well, I look as things as if it were there for a reason so I want to replace it. The question is can I weld onto this or is it cast? Or should I buy a matris top mount? I really don't have the money to shell out for a ohlins or grp top mount.

Are the hook ups gone or broken ? There are a lot of guys here parting out some busa's,,,Id diffenitly put it back on,,,It stabilizes really well,,expecially when you getting on it and the front end is danceing on the asphalt barely touching,,,also A org memeber commended his stabilizer on a thread when he was knee dragging and the bike kicked out,,It [ and the lord straightened him back up and he didnt dump the bike,,,,ps,,stabilizer helper him too

Last edited:
Buy a Top Mount, remember, go cheap and end in a heap ! "Cornie" I know, but the stabilizer was designed to be there by the Factory for a reason. Believe me, you need it :thumbsup:

I can't imagine why anyone would take it off and then grind off the mounts ??? , you might look around your bike and see if anything else is missing :whistle:

looks like you now have a very VALID reason to buy an aftermarket, top-mounted unit

My guess is, your second hand bike has been involved in a crash and the mounting bracket was broken. Only then did the owner grind the broken ear smooth. Just a hunch but I think if you look closely you'll find other damage? :dunno:

or the past owner wanted to try to shed of weight... and just figured " oh dampener u weigh to much, need to cut u off "

(shaking head at the thought of loosing weight via the dampener)

Get a GPR top mount please! You need it and the money you spend now is far less then the money to fix you up from an incident based on not having a dampener.

Ok, I fully planned on replacing, no worries. My question is, Do I just get a used lower triple and damper for like 40 shipped since I am de-chroming and putting the non lowering upper tree back on. Or is the GPR that much better? Seems like alot of people are good with the stock one alone. Or what about matris? Just trying to keep the $ down w/o being dumb.

You can go with a quality GPR and not have issues, or you can go with a stock stabilizer and do the Oil mod (substitute the stock oil with a 90 weight) which will give you a really good stabalizer for a lot less money. Either way you will be just fine...

Back