Undertail install

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering, is the Haybusa undertail install an easy "do it yourself" install for the average guy with not alot of mechanical skills. Or are you better off finding a local shop to have it installed.

This board is great and I appreciate it's knowledge.

My hubby and I installed mine...took about 4 hours for the entire process (it was freezing and we kept stopping to get warm!)

Figuring out which wires work which lights when rewiring was about as difficult as it got, and that wasn't hard at all.  The scariest part was cutting the undertail off; best to cut off as little as possible at first, then trim as needed until you get a good fit...we just used a hand saw...

Oh, and welcome to the board!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082993801 -->

Do it yourself its pretty straight fwd, lots of links here ,do search, it was the easiest undertail I installed compared to other bikes.

Take your time because once you cut something off you cant cut it back on.

I just got mine installed this weekend. I do a lot of "do it yourself" stuff, but not much electrical and this was pretty easy. I think the hardest part was getting enough of the stock fender cut off. Here's a picture of my completed install.

One more!

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082994091 -->

Looks good BigBSBusa...don't you just love freeing up the back tire!
tounge.gif

Why Suzuki puts that mud flap on is beyond me...it's just too much...
rock.gif

Nice install, BigBS, real clean. Were you able to re-use the same plastic snap buttons (or whatever it's called)? I had to change mine to the type one uses for door sidings since the original buttons will not snap in. I guess depends how thick the new undertail is. I like yours, nice lights.
Cheers. Jun

Looks good BigBSBusa...don't you just love freeing up the back tire!  
tounge.gif

Why Suzuki puts that mud flap on is beyond me...it's just too much...
rock.gif
Thanks, Michelle! Yeah, I don't know why they put that big azz mudflap back there. Besides, the fact that is oversized it's a bi%$h to take off! Its a much cleaner look without it on!

Nice install, BigBS, real clean. Were you able to re-use the same plastic snap buttons (or whatever it's called)? I had to change mine to the type one uses for door sidings since the original buttons will not snap in. I guess depends how thick the new undertail is. I like yours, nice lights.
Cheers. Jun
Thanks, Jun! No, I couldn't use the factory plugs and haven't found the size to fit yet. I went to an auto parts store looking for what was recommended and when I looked at them realized they were too big. I will look again, but it holds alright for now.

I just got mine installed this weekend.  I do a lot of "do it yourself" stuff, but not much electrical and this was pretty easy.  I think the hardest part was getting enough of the stock fender cut off.  Here's a picture of my completed install.
How about a side view of that sweey mutha, bro?
rock.gif
Lookin' sweet!!!
super.gif

BigBSBusa,
Man, I love your bike. I've got a pic of your bike as my wallpaper on the cpu till I get my own. Keep up the good work.
wink.gif

I'm holding out for the 05'. With that said, the more shots of the black and purple the more I don't know. The red limited is also pretty hot. I've got the cash just sitting in the bank right now so one moment of weakness and who know's what will happen. I can tell you this, the more I browse this site, the better the 04' is looking.
smile.gif

The bug can catch when you least expect it. I originally wanted the '02 Black SE and decided to wait a while and wound up getting the '03 Black/Grey that matched my '01 Black Katana 750. Of course being in the desert for a year didn't help things either!

Back