Undertail install help

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hey yall, sorry this post will be brief as I have to muster very shortly. Last night, I wired up the undertail....obviously its inncorrect. Can some1 please tell me Which wires go to which for the Brake/Running and for the blinkers, which to which?!

I have the pigtails cut off with the quick disconnects , its just the wiring before that. Needing some help here.

Also, on the Tail section its self, not the undertail. It has that black piece of foam there from the original brake lite housing. Do you remove that? Cause for some reason I cant get the undertail to fit flush. Thanks again yall.

Btw, I have the Mototeck undertail.

bump? any1?
SHOCKED.gif

1. i took the foam off of mine
2. i do not know what undertail you using, or the wiring colors, the easiet way to do this is take the undertail wires hook up to a battery. the wires of the same color will be the grounds.. next ones on the tail brakes, hook up and see which one is brighter and that is the brake, use a circuit tester and apply your brakes and touch each wire on the bike to find the brake light there. the other wire is the tail light. blinkers the same way. turn on the signal and test the bike side which one has the jucie is the hot blinker. the blinker wires on the undertail, again the same color wires are the ground. the other one will be the hot.

Its a Mototek undertail.

That link has a good walk through, but is incomplete on the wiring part.

(BiG-T @ Nov. 11 2006,08:50)
smile.gif
 So you're good or you still need assistance?
Nope, i still need some help. I dont understand why, but I have everything wired right. But no lights are coming on at all. Im gonna remove the foam from the undertail part, think that will help it fit more flush?

I removed that foam part for mine to fit flush.

Snap some pics of the wire setup you have and post them. I believe your wires are connected incorrectly.

k, ill brb. Gonna go out, pull the undertail off. And snap some pic's of the wiring. Ill remove the foam while I do that. Also, the left blinker has no Quick disconnect. Im thinking you just wire it to the open connection on the bike. This correct?

I cut the stock signal quick releases to use w/ my Mototeck.  So I have three (3) wires connected to the left turn signal release and three (3) connected to the right.

Since your left has no left quick disconnect, you have to wire it up to the open connection.

(This is not a picture of my actual efforts.)

Gotta step out...BBL to help out if ya need it.

signalquick.jpg

this picture I am holding the wires from the Left blinker of the Undertail, and the other black wires I am holding is the Wiring harness of where the old left Original blinker was wired. As you can see, they are not hooked up. As I was confused on which wires go with which.

undertail1.jpeg

this is a picture of all the wires. I am removing the duck tape to show you how things are wired....im sure something is wrong.

undertail2.jpeg

this is a picture of the foam pressing against the undertail, making it impossible to be flush. I removed the foam.

undertail3.jpeg

Once you figure out the wiring I would suggest sodering all the connections.

Those clips you are using will give you problems if they aren't already....

As you can see there are two (2) different sized wiring going in the connection clips. Go to China Shack and get some heat shrink also.

runeight...

Ok, in this picture I am seperating the wires. The ones on the left, the brown and black.

The Brown wire is connected to the Two green wires, coming out of the Main brake's. There is a 3rd wire connected along with the two green, which is the License plate wire. It is Black. So all 3 of those, the two green wires and the black wire, are connected to the Brown wire in this picture.

The Black wire, is connected to the Yellow wires coming out of the main brake's.

And the two wires, (Black with white stripes) are connected to the Red wires(running lights).

undertail4.jpeg

I think when i hooked mine up i posted exactly how the wires where connected... lemme look...

Ok i saved this and printed it out when i installed mine and it worked great. It was typed up by Whylotus so i cant take credit for it... Hope this helps you!

For anyone interested, this is how I wired mine....Please read the whole thing before you do yours.

Cut the two connectors off the turn signals about 4-5 inches back. Cut the white plug coming from the tail light assembly about 6 inches back. Always good to have a little extra wire. I soldered my turn signals together and put shrink tubing over the solder joint. Got the shrink tubing from Walmart. If you use the tubing...remember to put the tubing on the wire before soldering.
The yellow wire on the undertail to the solid black on the connector and the black on the undertail to the white and black on the connector.

For the balance of the connections I got some banana plugs from a local car audio shop. These are crimp connectors and they are a very positive and tight connection when together.
The rest of the wires on the undertail are bundled together and connected as follows.
1. The two green and one black marked ground go to the black and white on the stock connector.
2. The 3 red from the undertail marked running goes to the brown on the stock connector.
3. The three yellow wires from the undertail marked brake goes to the two white and black wires on the stock connector.

Disclaimer....I hooked this up to my bike before I committed to crimping and soldering and it worked on my 05. I couldn't test the rear brake cuz my caliper is off the bike, but it worked with the front brake. I would suggest you test yours as well because I don't know if the wiring is the same for all years. Overall a very simple task....for me anyway. I'm through untill tomorrow when I have some natural light. Now it's off to the basement to watch Jarhead.....hooooahhhh.

Oh and for future ease of reconnecting, I marked 2 of the 3 connectors on each half. One with black paint and the other with white.

Edited by whytlotus
Reason for Edit: None given... on Mar. 08 2006,08:42

Like runeight said though... solidering the connections would be best if you have the things to do it. Thats how i did mine and it hasnt given me any problems.

Back