Two 55 watt halogen lights installed

2hip

Registered
Worked on aligning the lights and finally got it figured out. Not that difficult but hard to get to...check out the pictures. These lights were built by "Ogre", who is now on the east coast in helicopter..."Go, ARMY"...
I don't know of another person who has them on their bike...they are fricking amazing. It was an expensive upgrade but i ride roads at night and live in a rural area so lots of critters on the roads...
Posting a lot of pics so those who are interested in the technicals can get a look at how it is done...Hope u enjoy..by the way almost as bright as a car with high beams on.
If you don't know too much about halogen lighting..both lights are on at all times and when you hit high beam there is shade that flips up and allows the light to go even further down the road...I can see over 150 yds up the road with the highs on...and I will have to measure exactly how far up the road with highs turned off...

bike ballast install 03-03-10 005.jpg

bike ballast install 03-03-10 008.jpg

bike lighting and electrical 09-15-10 001.jpg

bike lighting and electrical 09-15-10 003.jpg

bike lighting and electrical 09-15-10 004.jpg

bike lighting and electrical 09-15-10 008.jpg

bike lighting and electrical 09-15-10 009.jpg

bike halogen-nacelle 08-30-10 001.jpg

bike halogen-nacelle 08-30-10 003.jpg

Those look great but while your in there why don't you check out my HID install thread pinned in GenII section and order some of the small LEDs to replace the running lights so everything matches ?

I've been wanting this since your original post, it'sjust been too much to spend so far. Where can you buy the bulbs? And does Ogre still make these, and sell them cheaper as a kit unassembled? Is there any DIY threads on this? Or is that more of a design patent issue? Which is fine.

HID is the best mod I did on my busa without doubt. Here is a pic of my setup. The ballest for the high beam is attached to the top of the right ram air tube.

Halogen lights are like regular incandescent lights, they don't require an igniter box. It is a filament just like a regular light bulb but with halogen gas (a mixture of 6 elements) that increase the brightness of the bulb and prolong the life of the tungsten filament. If you have igniter boxes you have HID's in which an electrical arc is where the light source comes from.

These are 55 watt halogens. I had an HID on my high beam...and it didn't even come close to cutting it for night driving in rural areas...my rule of thumb...is you can't drive faster than the light is thrown for stopping distance...if I'm doing 70 mph with the high beams on with the old hid setup...you were really tense because u know the reaction time coupled with the stopping distance versus the lamp projection was not very optimal. And if you had to dim your high beam due to oncoming it was like running out of burning building into the night...blind...totally totally blind...I don't have that problem any longer.
With the 2 halogens with these huge ballasts and igniters...it is warp years ahead of HID. By far the best thing I ever did on the bike for my personal safety...Ogre can be contacted by sending him a personal message on the .org. He created this design for the Busa...look at this way...I spent 3500 dollars for a pair of wheels...1500 dollars for a titanium muffler...all performance products...why wouldn't I spend some money so I don't get creamed by a buck or pig at night? I can see 100-150 yds down the road with just the low beams on...which means both lights are on (top and bottom at all times) and when I hit the high beams the lamp shade swivels up and I can see close 2 two hundred yards out...I would estimate my light difference at over 200 percent better than just a stock low beam and a HID high beam...and that set up was probably 2-3 hundred percent better than stock...
It isn't cheap...but if you did like Warchild up in eastern Washington and go with the Hela's (or whatever they are) you will spend that much or more for them...and personally I don't care for the look on our sexy vixens...just sayin:whistle:

Last edited:
Saiid, thanks...I'll check it out...estimated time of changing bulbs...less than a year:whistle:

Less than 30 seconds for each one now that you have it apart. The little grey rubber plugs on each side you side just pull out . The running light is right there and also just pops right out. Plug new matching color led in and reinsert rubber plug .
Your done .
Took me longer to do this post that it will take you to change them .

2hip...I believe what you have are HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights. Halogen lights do NOT use Igniter/Ballast boxes. Also I know for a fact that true HID lighting is far superior to any type of filament bulb.

There are a lot of bogus companies out there that sell regular filament type bulbs and call them HID or HID *look* bulbs, but they simply do not put out the light that a true HID set up does.

Take some close up pictures of the bulb and other components to verify.

55w double bixenon retro, using sealed gen IV ballasts with integrated igniters. I will still build them, but I can't start any new retros for a couple months. I think he meant that the projector setup is better than an hid bulb in a halogen housing. Build pix are in a thread called "double bixenon retro"

Last edited:
I've been wanting this since your original post, it'sjust been too much to spend so far. Where can you buy the bulbs? And does Ogre still make these, and sell them cheaper as a kit unassembled? Is there any DIY threads on this? Or is that more of a design patent issue? Which is fine.
If you want to pm me, I can set you up with the correct parts and you can diy to your hearts content
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok Bi-Xenon is a form of HID lighting, this is mainly used for vehicles with only one bulb per headlight housing. The "Bi" refers to a movable guard that changes positions to allow more light to escape (ie: high beam). This has nothing to do with "Halogen". LOL

Obviously, young grasshopper, you have never worked with "genius" here...I have to contemplate it for some months...you know...no idea is well hatched until you stew on it for awhile...then I have to research for several months and get multiple layers of opinions..pricing...vendors...installation platforms...electrical consumption graphs...actual ohm readings from local users...altitude measurements and their effect on color matching the halogens...why do you want to make it sound so simple?:laugh::laugh:

Bi-xenon...fried brains...what's the matter "use guys"...these lights are much more powerful than the hid setup...I am talking freaking light years ahead of hid...did you look at those ballast boxes...the size of the igniters...these are what you find on some of the Japanese import cars...these are car lights put into a motorcyle...Ogre did me righteous and you would not believe it until you see it...

You know the busa comes with some pretty nice lights stock once you adjust them up some, especially the pathetically low factory adjusted low beam. Once I turned mine up my night lighting became awesome...with my high beam on (and adjusted) I can very comfortably run any speed I want as long as the road allows :thumbsup: And no I'm not blinding oncoming traffic, I was very careful to set them just below that level for maximum view. I never get flashed, but my riding buds have asked if I have hids :laugh: All it took was an hour and a half or so of adjusting and testing with the wife coming at me in the car to dial them in and it made a world of difference. For free :beerchug:

2Wheels...try that in my neck of the woods with black pigs that weigh 3oo+ lbs. and skittish deer...not to mention racoons, possum, rabbit, coyotes...no street lighting. and 70 mphs...if you like yours...try mine..u'll feel like Hefner just gave u a week pass at the Playboy mansion...:laugh:

Back