Turbo on C-16 Fuel, Ignition Timing?

Road Weazel

Registered
I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this.
I know that C-16 (120 octane from VP Fuels) will burn a little slower than the 91 octane pump gas that we can buy around here. If I'm running this race fuel on a Gen I Turbo do I still need to pull timing when I'm on boost?
I'll be running this at the Texas Mile later this month.
Thanx,
Weazel

Nope, let it eat as long as your tune is good. If you're tune is 11.5-11.8 on pump fuel, you'll be at least a half a point richer on race gas. And if your not making big power it will be fine.

Nope, let it eat as long as your tune is good. If you're tune is 11.5-11.8 on pump fuel, you'll be at least a half a point richer on race gas. And if your not making big power it will be fine.

Thanx Murdered,
I'm taking her in for a dyno tune Saturday morning. Going to have two maps made; one for 91 octane and one for C-16. I was going to pull timing for the pump gas but needed to know about the C-16.
11.5:1 sounds good for the A/F ratio on boost. I was going to go for about 13.2 off boost.
300 Horsepower is the goal.
Running Wossner 9:1 pistons, ported cylinder head, 105/105 cam timing, 65# springs, ARP cylinder studs and APE crankcase studs. Fueling is handled by an '05 ECU with a PCV and a FMU.
Thanx again.

Are you intercooled?

If not I wouldn't really suggest a second map for race fuel as long as the pump fuel tune is on point. Just pouring in race fuel is going to fatten up the tune considerably do to the octane level. Don't forget we are at sea level down here as well.

Are you intercooled?

If not I wouldn't really suggest a second map for race fuel as long as the pump fuel tune is on point. Just pouring in race fuel is going to fatten up the tune considerably do to the octane level. Don't forget we are at sea level down here as well.

No intercooler, but I do have water injection. The tune will be made somewhere between 1000 and 1500 feet in elevation.
Please forgive my questions here; I'm not trying to cast doubt on anything you say, I just need to understand. I know a fair amount about motorcycles (worked in the mechanic side of the business for 20 years) but am new to the turbo and race gas scene.
You're saying that the mapping for C-16 will not be much different from the mapping for pump gas? I know some race gas has less burnable material (but is more stable under pressure due to the octane) than pump gas and therefore has to be mapped richer.
I don't mind spending the money on a second map, but at the rate that I'm bleeding money right now if I don't have to spend it I'd rather not. (Hell, I think the engine build was actually the cheap part of this bike)
I just need the bike to be 'right'. My first experience with Land Speed was disappointing (my fault, electrical issues on day one and the wrong valve springs resulting in a blown motor on day two) and that was only an 8 hour drive from my house. I don't want to invest this much time and money (plus a two day drive to TX) to be disappointed again.
Thank you so much for your time.
Weazel

Any updates on your tune?

What is your experience with 1-Mile? What gearing are you running?

I'm trying my best to get out to watch at this event. I'll keep an eye out for you on Saturday and Sunday!

Back