Turbo in winter

HRJR

Donating Member
Registered
I am thinking about getting a Stage I turbo as a winter project. I live in CT and ride all year (weather permitting of course). Is there anything particular to turbo's that I should be aware of while riding in cold weather?

This assumes that the bike has been properly tuned (in normal temperatures i.e. 60-80 degrees). I assume that if the bike was tuned slightly lean the cold weather might lean it out too much.

Any thoughts?

Don't ride in the rain. The sudden change in heat can crack headers. I'm assuming the header is stainless steel. Also, if you have an exposed air filter it can clog with water in the rain. If it's just cold weather you'll be riding in then just get a warm pair of gloves so your hands won't go numb. You'll need a good grip to hold on!!!
biggrin.gif

(turbojonn @ Aug. 25 2007,12:01) Don't ride in the rain. The sudden change in heat can crack headers. I'm assuming the header is stainless steel. Also, if you have an exposed air filter it can clog with water in the rain. If it's just cold weather you'll be riding in then just get a warm pair of gloves so your hands won't go numb. You'll need a good grip to hold on!!!  
biggrin.gif
I like the hidden air cleaner look so that is my plan. Cracking a header if I get caught in the rain sounds a little scary though.
crazy.gif

Would wrapping the headers help?

I drove my turbo'ed mustang through a car wash once, big mistake... cracked the weld for the wastegate flange.

(TurboSN95 @ Aug. 25 2007,12:37) I drove my turbo'ed mustang through a car wash once, big mistake... cracked the weld for the wastegate flange.
Wow! That sux!

I'm getting concerned that if I get caught in the rain on a turbo'd bike I'm in for some trouble. Is the issue of cracked headers caused by water (rain, car wash, etc.) a big concern? Or, is it just a case of being mostly unlucky?

I appreciate the input, but I'm getting concerned now.

Back