Leaning out under muggy conditions?

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hey again everyone, was talking to a friend online who work's for a turbine company. Has a turbo charged Z28 and knows his stuff. I was telling him about my idea to get burts(1320straightliners) Stage 1 kit. And we were talking back and forth about how great turbo's produce HP, but he kinda got me worried about something.

He mentioned how under Muggy weather, duey condinsation in the air can cause the motor to lean out if its not tuned exactly for that muggy air. When leaning out it can crack the cylinder walls or burn your rings up or damage the piston head. Was just wondering about this, cause I personally can not feed this local shop $300.00 per tune up on a monthly basis.

anything that causes a dangerously lean condition can cause a turbo'd engine, that is tuned on the edge, to have detonation and cause damage to the motor.

Note though, there's a couple variables there. "tuned to the edge" means you are running the absolutely highest amount of boost you can get away with on a given octane of gas. "Dangerously lean" can also be a sliding number.

Most tuners will aim overly rich to compensate for such situations. It will not produce the absolute peak HP, running overly rich, but it will save your engine...assuming you keep the boost within reason

ah ok, so instead of running 8psi at 250hp (just throwing numbers out there) and getting maximum HP on pump gas, you can keep it at around 5-6psi and 230hp'ish and just make it run a little richer incase a muggy day were to come. But wouldnt that slow throttle response without the boost spooling?

You just make sure that you are tunned to at least a set of 275cc injectors larger if you plan on pushing it, and then make sure you are in the middle on the power commander so you can go up and down depending on the weather conditions. If you are running 6lbs of boost you have it tunned in the middle to your PC and you will be fine. make sure you have a A/F guage installed so you can read it for adjustments.

if you are racing the bike, you should datalog what the bike is doing to be able to change according to weather conditions via a PC and a laptop etc. for me, its a PCIIIr and an MCXpress secondary box for the 4 injectors in the plenum.

if its a streetbike, will you really be able to tell the difference in 230hp vs 250hp? and no, it wont "slow the spool".

Hey again everyone, was talking to a friend online who work's for a turbine company. Has a turbo charged Z28 and knows his stuff. I was telling him about my idea to get burts(1320straightliners) Stage 1 kit. And we were talking back and forth about how great turbo's produce HP, but he kinda got me worried about something.

He mentioned how under Muggy weather, duey condinsation in the air can cause the motor to lean out if its not tuned exactly for that muggy air. When leaning out it can crack the cylinder walls or burn your rings up or damage the piston head. Was just wondering about this, cause I personally can not feed this local shop $300.00 per tune up on a monthly basis.
What your buddy has told you is completely backwards, a muggy, damp day will make you run extra rich because of the lack of oxygen, on the other hand a cool crisp dry day can make you run leaner, I would question your buddys knowledge if he got this backwards.

Richard

(2wicked @ Aug. 29 2006,04:35) What your buddy has told you is completely backwards, a muggy, damp day will make you run extra rich because of the lack of oxygen, on the other hand a cool crisp dry day can make you run leaner, I would question your buddys knowledge if he got this backwards.

Richard
+1

Moisture or water vapour displaces the air in a given volume.

Thats why we use uprated engines in our surveillance aircraft in the tropics.

Doubble whammie hot and humid = less O2

Maybe you just herd him wrong?

Thats not to say drastically different conditions won't effect your tune.

Like the other guys say, most people go a little rich for safety.

Cheers
Ross

Back