Trucks That Carry Sheet Glass

Big Red

Donating Member
Registered
Every one has seen these commercial trucks that carry sheet glass on the sides. What concerns me is the close proximity of these protuding racks edges to our legs if they get too close for comfort. For example, you stop your bike at a red signal light and you are looking to see that no one is going to plow in to the back of your bike. There is a car to your front; the left side has a oversized SUV ,a big 350 series truck or a vehicle that has pullled in to close with no room to manouver between in case the car in the back decides not to stop in time. On the right is a glass truck with it's protuding edges. Yea I know the right thing to do is give your self plenty of space up front. But these trucks look and are intimidating to me with their sharp protuding angles.

Heh - I've got a good one...

A couple years ago a buddy and I are riding home from work. Going down the highway (3 lane) there's this moron who's hauling 1/8" sheet glass flat on a trailer; he's in the far right lane. From the distance, I see this and motion to my buddy to get over to the hammer lane. No sooner than we move over, the draft from his truck catches 3 of the sheets and sends them airborne!! We accelerate to get outta the way as the sheets are flipping end-over-end up in the air. The sheets land on the highway, shattering. Luckily, they did not hit anything...

personally , I'm more worried about all these stupid kids in thier wannabe fast and furious cars and the s.u.v's piloted by small , cell phone impaired, radio blaring like they're teenagers "soccer moms". we have a commercial glass company here with those side load trucks, so far they are the best drivers out of the bunch. some of the music that blairs out of these cars makes hitting the glass a welcome thought. j/k

Rebar trucks, especially if you're splitting traffic in California.

--Wag--

I live out in the country, and you wouldn't believe how many hay bails you see fall off trucks.

The redneck weekend movers. Moving all the junk from one eviction to the next in the back of Bubbas POS pic up truck with no tie downs and not enough brains to load it correctly. I don't stay behind or beside anyone hauling anything. That and semi's get passed quickly. Ever seen a truck tire come apart at highway speed? don't want to see that up close on the Busa  
wowold.gif

I saw a pickup truck in Baltimore the other day that had telephone books stacked over the roof in the bed. Though the guy had them stacked in a way that they probly wouldn't fall, a tie down was nowhere to be seen.

How about when the glass truck picks up a chunk of that jagged steel remains of a blow out from that rebar truck and sends it just past your head as your blastin past the socker moms van that almost ran you off the road!!! I hate when this happens
firedevil.gif

Or a truck with an unsecured ladder. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a ladder in the middle of the interstate! Just waiting to take out a biker.

Every one has seen these commercial trucks that carry sheet glass on the sides. What concerns me is the close proximity of these protuding racks edges to our legs if they get too close for comfort. For example, you stop your bike at a red signal light and you are looking to see that no one is going to plow in to the back of your bike. There is a car to your front; the left side has a oversized SUV ,a big 350 series truck or a vehicle that has pullled in to close with no room to manouver between in case the car in the back decides not to stop in time. On the right is a glass truck with it's protuding edges. Yea I know the right thing to do is give your self plenty of space up front. But these trucks look and are intimidating to me with their sharp protuding angles.
Please if this scenario ever happens buy a lottery ticket. Yes you have a good point though.

Back