TransAm 0; Mustang 1

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
I don't belong to any mustang forums so you guys get to hear the tale

Coming home tonite from dinner on I-80 I'm in the 2nd lane with cruise control doing 65 (speed limit, I know, shocking). In the 1st lane (fast lane) alongside me comes a T/A. This is the full-blown T/A, W86 version. Very nice. He stops right next to me and starts popping the gas. I have the wife in the car with me so I'm playing it kewl and was going to ignore him. My wife is great, she says, "You gonna let him do that to us? Kick his *SS!"

OK! I turned off the traction control, dropped it into 3rd and nailed it. Holy crap 300hp makes you go like stink! Slightly north of triple digits I backed out of it and slowed down so he could catch up. When he got next to us again I did the gas gas like, go again? Funny, he exited the highway at the next exit.

We win. I think she likes it when I go fast.

Nice, what kinda Mustang do you have? I think the correct term for the full blown Trans Am is the "WS6". :) I am an f-body enthusiast and owned a 1997 T/A WS6 and also have a Camaro Z28 which is far from stock. Nice kill. :thumbsup:

what you got done to the Mustang? year? motor? Mustang's, Ws6 T/A's and Z28 Camaro's are all similiar in the HP and Torque dept. I dont doubt you beat him, but you shouldnt have walked away from him. I gotta play devils advocate and stick up for the T/A since ive got an LS-1 camaro, you understand...:laugh:

Nice, what kinda Mustang do you have? I think the correct term for the full blown Trans Am is the "WS6". :) I am an f-body enthusiast and owned a 1997 T/A WS6 and also have a Camaro Z28 which is far from stock. Nice kill. :thumbsup:

How about a pic of that Camaro?

You're right, WS6, I'm typing on my netbook, mini-laptop. :)

The mustang is a 2007 GT, stock. Pics are in another thread somewhere here.

The T/A definitely tried but wasn't up for it. I could hear the beautiful sound of his engine (I love the 5.7L growl) but the 4.6 just had too much and it is just so refined. From what I saw of the T/A it was in great shape. I don't have a clue what if any mods might have been done. Could also be he choked. Dude, if you're gonna ask to race, be prepared to stomp it.

Crossing fingers they make a T/A version of the new Camaro. I'd buy it. 385HP, mmmmm

Camaro...

two.jpg

three.jpg

noidwired1.jpg

newsuff.jpg

Last edited:
no way you should've beat him being stock. Someone couldn't drive. I've owned both mustangs and F Bodies. The T/A WS6 should have walked all over you.

Was it an LT-1 powered fourth gen? (93-97)? His #@%$&*% optispark was probably going out and he couldn't keep up. I love Pontiacs, but damn if GM hasn't done some of the most boneheaded things over the years.

no way you should've beat him being stock. Someone couldn't drive. I've owned both mustangs and F Bodies. The T/A WS6 should have walked all over you.

Depends on which one it was.

00-02 Would have had about 30 more horses than the Mustang and at least as much more torque, comes in about 500 rpms sooner, and weighs about 200 pounds less than the Ford.

But an LT-1 in an early fourth gen would have a decent fight on its hands against the new 3 valve motor. The older third gens wouldn't stand a chance, even the WS6.

:whistle: And my little 3 liter twin Turbo Inline six will walk both the WS6 and the Mustang, and god help you both if the road turns twisty... Why are we arguing? :11doh:

Now should we all grab up our measuring tapes and REALLY see who the winner is? :firedevil:

:rofl: Just messing with you all...

Pretty sure that a newer mustang will tear an older WS6 a new one. Especially if it's stock and has 40K+ miles on the OD. Lot's of earlier GMs overstated their HP numbers, last bone stock 2007 4.6 liter mustang I saw on the Dyno put up 280HP on the dyno... They are pretty much as advertised.

WS6 it's easy to get romantic about the older cars sometimes... AH the bad old days when HP was gross, and 500CI netted you 244HP.

Last edited:
Well I didn't want to be the one who started throwing rocks. '93-'97 F-bodies (Camaro/Firebird) came with the LT1's. LS1/2/6/7/x came afterwards starting in '98 ('97 for the Vettes). If both drivers had a clue as to what was happening collectively the T/A WS6 either an LT or LS I think should have at the very least kept up. The Mustangs have always been generally slower due to being underpowered and having an excessive weight to horsepower ratio. Anyhoo, a kill is a kill, every dog has its day. :laugh: :beerchug: The thing to remember is, that in the end everyone had fun and no one got hurt.

Last edited:
the sad thing about the new camaros is the pricing. most of the folks who would want one wont be able to afford it, or would rather spend the money on something else.

the sad thing about the new camaros is the pricing. most of the folks who would want one wont be able to afford it, or would rather spend the money on something else.

Out of fear for you being right....I certainly hope you're wrong. I'd love to have one of these!

Back