Trade my 05 R1 for 02 Busa? Honest opinion...

There is a lot of good advice given already.

If you are looking for a bike to commute, the busa is much better suited to that than the R1. It is larger, more comfortable, and has better torque so you don't have to wing it from a stoplight to take off. Literally, let the clutch out slowly and then twist the throttle for a slow take off. Not to mention, more trunk space!

As far as that particular bike, I would pass. It sounds like you the history is somewhat suspect. I don't like the large box mod, for starters. Second, unless that is an 02LE, the frame should be silver, and the wheels have been changed as well. Already mentioned is the troublesome, external fuel pump, weaker starter, and 16 bit electronics.

I would sell my bike and buy a different one, closer to stock for less than what you would be getting there, and mod it yourself.

As far as nitrous goes, depending on how it is done, you can run it for years and years with no issues.

IF u do trade get a unmodded airbox and get the bike retuned for drivablity. it will not handle cruzing very well right now. its setup for full throttle. but after having two busas i am getting tired of mine as the weight of them wears me out but i might be a wimp. i have rode r1s and they are comfortable. id say even trade and use ur $$$ to get it back to a daily driver

i wouldn't do it on that bike.. look around for another bike ..
do you have to trade for another bike?? why don't you sell yours and then look for a busa... you might get ahead this way!!

+1000 well said...there are much better busas for sale

Sure you heard enough to make your decision, but wondered what suspension upgrades are on your bike? Stiffer springs? Aftermarket shock? May be a $1k in your direction.

The busa would be a better commuter, but not stretched, dropped and dragged. Braking will be worse on the busa than your R1. You might be surprised in how similar the two bikes (in stock form) are versus how different you might think they should be. Maybe that is why you were drawn to the street/strip busa you were looking at.

FWIW, the busa will be much more comfortable for 2-up riding.

Thank you so much for the advice guys. I think the scales have tipped for keeping my R1. I really want a busa but don't want a dud. What is the oldest year I should consider so I can alleviate documented problems?

05 06 or newer you can find great deals all the time. my buddy is selling a white 09 for 6500. deals can be had if u just are patient enough

I would Stay Away from that one. He could of beat the hell out of the transmission also. The Busa's a Real Good Choice for what your lookin' to do. Listen to the Guy's on here. They made ALOT of good points AND buy a stock bike. You can always Mod it later on. :thumbsup:

I would buy an '03 or later as by '03 Suzuki had fixed the bendy aluminum sub frame, the clogging fuel filters, the cam chain problems and the starter gear issues. The '03 and later also have the 32 bit upgraded ECU.

Here's a list;

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM. (I don't think this was a change in all markets. ken)

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):
- No significant changes.

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.

cheers
ken

As you can see from the previous post you want to get an 03 or newer

So, did you get the Busa yet? Go for the one that's for sale on here. You can sell the R1 and buy it outright. Just sayin, at least you know it's not a polished turd

Its the extended swingarm that put me off the most. If you are going to ride this in traffic that will really effect its manouverbility. I say No Deal.:eyes:

Back