Trade my 05 R1 for 02 Busa? Honest opinion...

07R6R

Registered
I'm posting here because I seem to get nothing but honest opinions here. If I were to post this up on my bike forum they'd say stay with the R1 because they are brand loyal, and generally younger close minded people.

Any rate. I have been looking for a Busa (half hearted anyways) as I think I'll enjoy commuting on that more than I do my R1. I don't race, basically just commute. Here's a low down of the two bikes.

Deal on the table: My bike, + 1K, for his Busa.

My 05 R1
Stock
A lot of aftermarket upgrades, custom suspension, but no upgrades to performance parts (air/fuel/exhaust, etc etc)

His 02 Busa
Big air box
PC
M4 Full Exhaust
Extended swing arm with under frame support (not extension)
Hot bodies Undertail
HID Lights
LED Lights
MSD Launch control
Air Shifter
Nos set up
Racing lanyard motor kill

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
The busa is a MUCH more comfortable bike to ride/commute on in general, though I'm not sure how much the modifications done will change that.

I would not do it simply because it seems like this bike was used for drag racing and that's harder on the engine. But there may not be anything mechanically wrong. But my .02 is not to do it.

This busa isn't a commuter bike, I wouldn't do it. Find one that hasn't been THAT modded

I would buy an '03 or later as by '03 Suzuki had fixed the bendy aluminum sub frame, the clogging fuel filters, the cam chain problems and the starter gear issues. The '03 and later also have the 32 bit upgraded ECU.

Here's a list;

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM. (I don't think this was a change in all markets. ken)

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):
- No significant changes.

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.

cheers
ken

YOU ACTUALLY HAVE THE BETTER BIKE IN THIS DEAL AND HE SHOULD BE GIVING YOU THE CASH.. HONEST OPINION.

I NEVER JUDGE A BIKE LOOKING AT IT TO BE RACED AS SOME FOLKS LIKE THE LOOK AND WANNA PARKING LOT PIMP LIKE THEY SOME RACER...I HAVE OVER THE YEARS BUILT SOME SICK RACE BIKES, NEVER TO SEE THEM GO DOWN ANY RACE TRACK :rofl: , SOME JUST LIKE THE LOOK.... IF HE RACED IT AND MAINTAINED IT, IT'S NOT ANY DIFFERENT THAN ONE NOT RACED AND NOT MAINTAINED WELL, EXCEPT IT MIGHT LAST LONGER :rofl:

This busa isn't a commuter bike, I wouldn't do it. Find one that hasn't been THAT modded

I commute daily. It's way more comfortable than my 750 was, plus I have the added benefit of keeping it in higher gears and having more torque on-demand.

He did say he did 15 passes with it..

People say a lot of things... :whistle:

There are plenty of great deals on clean used Busas out there. As has been mentioned, look for one that's not already modded for performance.

i wouldn't do it on that bike.. look around for another bike ..
do you have to trade for another bike?? why don't you sell yours and then look for a busa... you might get ahead this way!!

I would at least go check it out take it for a test ride or have some 1 who is mechanically inclined to give it a once over. That guy could have only did 15 passes and decided it wasnt for him or he could have done 150 passes and looking to pawn off a ticking time bomb :whistle:

I'd go check it out for sure if it wasn't 2 hours away. I thought about selling my bike, but don't want to be without 2 wheels. I'd go through bike withdrawals.

I'd say it could be a good deal for you DEPENDING on what exactly you're looking for. We know you're looking to commute, but were you hoping for a modded/extended bike? If you traded for a stock Busa, are these mods similar to what you'd be purchasing for the bike anyway? If so, this could be a damn good deal for you and could save you thousands in money you'd spend buying these parts. In any case, I wouldn't add that $1k cash though. It's a straight swap in my eyes based on what these bikes would sell for individually.

The nitrous wouldn't scare me much. Hell, he may have never even used it yet. Get an overall feel of the guy for integrity/honesty as well as his knowledge about nitrous stuff. People fear the unknown. This is why people run when they see nitrous (they know nothing about it). A properly setup system can be run without issue. I've had nitrous on several daily drivers and have sprayed hundreds of times. I have yet to see any "boom".

Back