trackday "kit" finally ready

I'm curious how BT003RS or BT003 tires will handle on a Busa that has lost a few lbs. I'm thinking in the 440-450 wet range.

:beerchug:

Well after a couple long sitdowns with some top 10 AMA guys? and my personal experience with the Busa...

I have the Busa running at about 95% of its physical ability to get around the average track.. This MIGHT get me to the top half of my current class if I learn to ride like a guy with his ass on fire.. With the same amount of skill I could be running in the next class up mid pack..

SteveO has pointed this out a few times in the past that the Busa just is not a premier track bike.. It does really well but the weight issue is a large one. The 20% extra weight makes this bike use every bit of available track at speeds a liter bike is only using 2/3 of the track if not less..

The 2 videos I posted are a great example.. The video bike is an 07 Gixxer 1000 (and is for sale in race trim to me for around 7G).. I had the busa at pretty much all it had (turning in early and drifting it to the outside edges of the track) and Ian was easily cutting inside my line with the 400lb bike..

Now if I did not care about moving up in class, the Busa would be fine but it takes more work to ride.. THERE IS a certain level of satisfaction when the advanced riders come up to comment on how well you are getting the bike around the track smoothly.. Invariably I get control riders coming over to the pit to also add their comments.. It is nice getting that recognition.. They also wonder how quick I could be on a proper track bike (and so do I :) )

now if I can get a bit further on the busa? I might try it.. but at my age? less work to go fast is starting to sound kind of nice :) It was suggested I run a liter bike because of my fatazz... :laugh:

Do want all the feedback I can get from guys that have run Busa's at track days and are fast.. Most of the guys talking to me now have never hung a butt cheek over edge of a busa seat.. I will probably let a couple of them Demo the Busa after I get second gear fixed (started banging out at track)

BTW, the busa stays with me... not giving it up..

Horse for courses Bogus if you don't go the litre bike you will never know your potential nothing worse than thinking " what if " :thumbsup:

Doyle glad I could help you again...get me a cool pic for my site gonna list the warmers and that would be cool to have your leaning in the pic...

very good narrative... I know you got what I meant :) I guess a set of slicks (and supporting gear) should go on my "To try" list before taking the big hit on a dedicated track bike (can use them on that bike anyway right? :) )...

I'm curious how BT003RS or BT003 tires will handle on a Busa that has lost a few lbs. I'm thinking in the 440-450 wet range.

:beerchug:
They are a great choice for me so far.. I ran the 002RS and went with the 003RS.. There appears to be very little difference in warm up times and total "hook" on the track.. The 003 does seem to take a bit more lean for the same turn however (hard to quantify as my skill level does not really give me the expert view).. At no time however did the 003 ever leave me feeling "left out to dry".. completely predictable and confidence inspiring.. I always feel that I have something in reserve even as my toe sliders are hitting the pavement..

I think the busa could use a slightly more aggressive turn in profile but hey, the guys on the liter bikes are still wondering what went by on the turn exit.. :) I love that part...

I think I do have them about to the limit of their ability however (you can only lean so far, plus feedback from CR's indicates nice blackies around the corners).. So that is why the questions on slicks..

I will get a weight on the bike but it has some dietary items added.. (wheels, exhaust and run with 1.5G in tank)

Last edited:
i will stick to my 1/4 mile..lol randy your crazy...but in a good way, im still waiting for a better picture then the one you posted on face book...

Do I get the feeling that you may be downsizing Bogus? Honestly, If I were doing track days, It would be on a 600 or 1000. I love my Busa but everything has it's place and for me the Busa's place is on the road. Sorry Guys, that's just my opinion. I've ridden all three bikes on the road and the weight difference means a lot. I Aint a track guy so I could be wrong.:laugh: Bet you'all will tell me if I am.:cheerleader:

I take my '04 to the track and have ridden Ninja 6R's on the track as well. The 'busa is a chore. Don't get me wrong, it handles well, but the weight and wheelbase take more effort and time to get the bike flicked over compared to a 636/600. The Ninja's were like toys after coming from the 'busa, and a lot more fun on the track.

I'm looking to buy a 636 but first I have to install a storage shed, clean out the garage, pay estimated income taxes, file last year's returns, put snow tires on the cars, go on a cruise, and f#ck a monkey I think.

Back