trackday "kit" finally ready

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Thanks to Cloud Nine Motorsports and Mr. Bogus (hookin me up to a guy with OEM wheels) my trackday things are complete!

Wheels, new bearings, rotors
hard neoprene cushdrive
Vortex 43t spkt
Michelin medium compound slicks
Woodcraft tire warmers
5500w generator (for tracks that don't have electrical)

Time to go ride hard!

Doyle

P1020934.JPG

Last edited:
Why do I not see "Camera" on that list?
I needs me pics Bro:laugh:
Looks like you are all set to have a great time.
Bubba

Why do I not see "Camera" on that list?
I needs me pics Bro:laugh:
Looks like you are all set to have a great time.
Bubba

Hi Bubba, In fact I did just buy a GoPro but I didn't include it. Hope all is good with you. Doyle

Awesome man!!! Way to go!!! now we need pics of trackday!

Yeah, it's time to get one more in before Winter makes it really difficult to cross the Sierras towing the Busa trailer with my 2 wheel drive truck!

Nice setup Doyle.... so exactly how much help were the slicks on lap times?

I am thinking of replacing the "Busa" as a track bike due to the weight issue..

Tires are an issue right now due to the bike "sliding" as I push it harder..

Just a drag to be at 95% of the bikes potential when the liter bikes are easily cutting tighter lines with stuff in reserve as the busa pushes the track boundaries with little left as far as going faster is concerned.

Yes the Busa is a blast to ride but it is a lot of work too... I would like to bring a gun to the gun fight instead of a knife is all :laugh:

Not much of a kit.
It's missing the one item (or several) you need to go really fast.

606_R02_girl_grid--article_image.jpg

Now you are ready to go fast!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
:beerchug:
cheers
ken

Do I get the feeling that you may be downsizing Bogus? Honestly, If I were doing track days, It would be on a 600 or 1000. I love my Busa but everything has it's place and for me the Busa's place is on the road. Sorry Guys, that's just my opinion. I've ridden all three bikes on the road and the weight difference means a lot. I Aint a track guy so I could be wrong.:laugh: Bet you'all will tell me if I am.:cheerleader:

Do I get the feeling that you may be downsizing Bogus? Honestly, If I were doing track days, It would be on a 600 or 1000. I love my Busa but everything has it's place and for me the Busa's place is on the road. Sorry Guys, that's just my opinion. I've ridden all three bikes on the road and the weight difference means a lot. I Aint a track guy so I could be wrong.:laugh: Bet you'all will tell me if I am.:cheerleader:
Well after a couple long sitdowns with some top 10 AMA guys? and my personal experience with the Busa...

I have the Busa running at about 95% of its physical ability to get around the average track.. This MIGHT get me to the top half of my current class if I learn to ride like a guy with his ass on fire.. With the same amount of skill I could be running in the next class up mid pack..

SteveO has pointed this out a few times in the past that the Busa just is not a premier track bike.. It does really well but the weight issue is a large one. The 20% extra weight makes this bike use every bit of available track at speeds a liter bike is only using 2/3 of the track if not less..

The 2 videos I posted are a great example.. The video bike is an 07 Gixxer 1000 (and is for sale in race trim to me for around 7G).. I had the busa at pretty much all it had (turning in early and drifting it to the outside edges of the track) and Ian was easily cutting inside my line with the 400lb bike..

Now if I did not care about moving up in class, the Busa would be fine but it takes more work to ride.. THERE IS a certain level of satisfaction when the advanced riders come up to comment on how well you are getting the bike around the track smoothly.. Invariably I get control riders coming over to the pit to also add their comments.. It is nice getting that recognition.. They also wonder how quick I could be on a proper track bike (and so do I :) )

now if I can get a bit further on the busa? I might try it.. but at my age? less work to go fast is starting to sound kind of nice :) It was suggested I run a liter bike because of my fatazz... :laugh:

Do want all the feedback I can get from guys that have run Busa's at track days and are fast.. Most of the guys talking to me now have never hung a butt cheek over edge of a busa seat.. I will probably let a couple of them Demo the Busa after I get second gear fixed (started banging out at track)

BTW, the busa stays with me... not giving it up..

Last edited:
Well after a couple long sitdowns with some top 10 AMA guys? and my personal experience with the Busa...

I have the Busa running at about 95% of its physical ability to get around the average track.. This MIGHT get me to the top half of my current class if I learn to ride like a guy with his ass on fire.. With the same amount of skill I could be running in the next class up mid pack..

SteveO has pointed this out a few times in the past that the Busa just is not a premier track bike.. It does really well but the weight issue is a large one. The 20% extra weight makes this bike use every bit of available track at speeds a liter bike is only using 2/3 of the track if not less..

The 2 videos I posted are a great example.. The video bike is an 07 Gixxer 1000 (and is for sale in race trim to me for around 7G).. I had the busa at pretty much all it had (turning in early and drifting it to the outside edges of the track) and Ian was easily cutting inside my line with the 400lb bike..

Now if I did not care about moving up in class, the Busa would be fine but it takes more work to ride.. THERE IS a certain level of satisfaction when the advanced riders come up to comment on how well you are getting the bike around the track smoothly.. Invariably I get control riders coming over to the pit to also add their comments.. It is nice getting that recognition.. They also wonder how quick I could be on a proper track bike (and so do I :) )

now if I can get a bit further on the busa? I might try it.. but at my age? less work to go fast is starting to sound kind of nice :) It was suggested I run a liter bike because of my fatazz... :laugh:

Do want all the feedback I can get from guys that have run Busa's at track days and are fast.. Most of the guys talking to me now have never hung a butt cheek over edge of a busa seat.. I will probably let a couple of them Demo the Busa after I get second gear fixed (started banging out at track)

BTW, the busa stays with me... not giving it up..
:thumbsup:There you go. Get a track bike and keep the Busa.

Hi Bubba, In fact I did just buy a GoPro but I didn't include it. Hope all is good with you. Doyle

Hi Doyle,
All is great and just did the 74 into Idyllwild, LOVE those last curves. As I was going through them all I could think was the last time I rode them with you in front of me and how nice it was to watch and learn from you.
Thanks Bro:beerchug:
?? Does the Gopro do video?
Hope to ride with you again soon,
Bubba

Last edited:
Nice setup Doyle.... so exactly how much help were the slicks on lap times?

I am thinking of replacing the "Busa" as a track bike due to the weight issue..

Tires are an issue right now due to the bike "sliding" as I push it harder..

Just a drag to be at 95% of the bikes potential when the liter bikes are easily cutting tighter lines with stuff in reserve as the busa pushes the track boundaries with little left as far as going faster is concerned.

Yes the Busa is a blast to ride but it is a lot of work too... I would like to bring a gun to the gun fight instead of a knife is all :laugh:

Your "95%" description is right on. I can say with authority, that my Busa can corner BETTER than I can with hot slicks. It is a quantum leap in confidence compared to all of the hipo street choices and a major leap compared to my Pilot Race tires (which are wonderful track tires). I simply am at a spot right now where I don't know where the slicks limits are! It feels to me that the slicks are saying to me, "OK, when are you going to speed up, Doyle?" I believe that's a good thing especially compared to my feelings when riding lesser tires on the track.....that is, "I'm way faster than these tires will let me go".
I'm so excited to do that exploring of their (and my) limits.

I disagree with the many who say, "get a track bike and use the Busa for the street". I ride amidst liter bikes, pass some and get passed as well. Yes it's heavier, yes it's more work, I have track cred with the Busa and I really enjoy that. Not that it's not a viable choice to get a track bike....that's a great choice, just not for me. I rode Robb's Gixxer 1000 on the track and loved it.

Maybe I'll say something different in the future, but, and I'm not trying to blow smoke here, but..... if I'm this fast now on slicks and I'm nowhere near "on the edge", I can't imagine stopping now/ changing bikes, etc. I feel like I'm now catching up to my Busa's abilities, not the other way around.

One thing for sure Bog....all your choices are good ones! Doyle

(ps I just reread this and I need to add....with slicks, after braking and the smooth turn in, not once do I feel the need to drift wide because of weight....on the contrary, if feels like, "why am I so careful and slow here?" And that includes times when you're clustered with liter bikes!)

Last edited:
Back