Track bike opinions

Devil Dog

Donating Member
Registered
I'm kinda poking around and have been thinking about getting a track-only bike. Looking at Gixxer 750s.....

What are your opinions for a good track bike? Consider, initial cost, replacement parts and availability, and handling.

I'm no rich man......just wanna do occasional track-days.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely a GSXR 750 or 1000, Plentiful Parts (affordable), Extremely Easy Tear down and easy to work on, TONS of Aftermarket Product, and Tons of eBay Parts. Stick with something Fuel Injected. And remember Suzuki-OWN the Track!!!!!!

I started on a 06 Busa for track days and im so hooked that I just went out and bought 06 GSXR750 red/black. All I can say is WOW what a bike u wont believe how bad this little thing is in every aspect. I know some guys will say get the 1000 but ive talked to alot of Advanced Riders at the track and they all said get the 750 even the ones with the 1000. I guess the 1000 has so much power that its very easy to high side due to smoking the tires out of the turns and the getting traction all of the sudden. Yes it can be controlled but u better be one hell of a rider. A friend of mine was at Road America and it has like 2/3 of a mile straightaway. He said when he was running with the 750 that he was able to get about 4 to 5 bike lanks towards the end but in the turns the thing was right back with him. Dont get me wrong the 1000 is a badder bike but its for the Advanced rider.

SV 650 is a fantastic track bike. GSXR 750 is great but it is so much more bike than most average riders, especially occasional track riders will ever use.

(lambretta man @ Oct. 15 2006,05:35) SV 650 is a fantastic track bike. GSXR 750 is great but it is so much more bike than most average riders, especially occasional track riders will ever use.
beerchug.gif
Thanks bro.

Consider a used ZX-7 or TLR also. 7 is heavy but comfortable, the TLR is light and nimble, but it's a twin......

Devil ,

I started the same thought process . Just a cheap beat up 600 for the track . Then hoped on a gsxr 1000 k6 . Then all of the sudden you wanna trade Jlo ( busa) for Jennifer gardner (gsxr1000) feel me
smile.gif

(hionbusa @ Oct. 15 2006,12:30) Devil ,

I started the same thought process . Just a cheap beat up 600 for the track . Then hoped on  a gsxr 1000 k6 . Then all of the sudden you wanna trade Jlo ( busa) for Jennifer gardner (gsxr1000)  feel me
smile.gif
Dammit Hion. Did you get that Gixx yet?

Well, I rode the track with RC51 and 750 and can honestly say if I were to get another track bike it would be a used 600.  Probably an 01-02 GSX-R600 specifically.  

Reason:

Cheap
TONS of parts available
Proven
Cheap
A 600 will make you a better rider
Easy on tires
Cheap
and cheap
biggrin.gif

My 750 decked out for road racing was almost too much for small tracks.  Spinning the tire in 3rd gear coming out of corners, wheeling hard in 2nd out of slow corners...it was fun, but still a lot of bike.  A 1000, NO WAY.  Waste of power for most tracks not to mention a tire eater.

The best thing that ever happened to me on the track was being passed by a guy on a SV650 ever lap.  Each straight-a-way I would blow by him, but come 6th or 7th corner he would sneak by me again.  I was running only about 5 seconds off race pace too!!!

Get a small cheap used bike and you will be glad you did in the long run.  You only look like a fool out there on a new 1000 getting whooped by SV's and 600's (which will happen).

good luck and put as much money towards suspension and tires as possible.

(bquinn @ Jul. 09 2007,12:31) Well, I rode the track with RC51 and 750 and can honestly say if I were to get another track bike it would be a used 600.  Probably an 01-02 GSX-R600 specifically.  

Reason:

Cheap
TONS of parts available
Proven
Cheap
A 600 will make you a better rider
Easy on tires
Cheap
and cheap
biggrin.gif

My 750 decked out for road racing was almost too much for small tracks.  Spinning the tire in 3rd gear coming out of corners, wheeling hard in 2nd out of slow corners...it was fun, but still a lot of bike.  A 1000, NO WAY.  Waste of power for most tracks not to mention a tire eater.

The best thing that ever happened to me on the track was being passed by a guy on a SV650 ever lap.  Each straight-a-way I would blow by him, but come 6th or 7th corner he would sneak by me again.  I was running only about 5 seconds off race pace too!!!

Get a small cheap used bike and you will be glad you did in the long run.  You only look like a fool out there on a new 1000 getting whooped by SV's and 600's (which will happen).

good luck and put as much money towards suspension and tires as possible.
Check the dates dude
tounge.gif

I found it an interesting read-- I still cant afford even a used 600, but really would rather the 750- It may take more control-- but hey- so does the busa on the track.

(bquinn @ Jul. 10 2007,13:06) others may find new comments interesting and useful.

beerchug.gif
Theres gotta be atleast 50 threads on the subject...."Best Track Bike"...600, 750, 1000, SV650, yada yada yada
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

(BA BUSA @ Jul. 11 2007,19:38)
(bquinn @ Jul. 10 2007,13:06) others may find new comments interesting and useful.

beerchug.gif
Theres gotta be atleast 50 threads on the subject...."Best Track Bike"...600, 750, 1000, SV650, yada yada yada  
beerchug.gif
Crap, I guess I'll have to search on those to make comments also  
SHOCKED.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

I'm starting to flirt with the idea of a fully race prepped Yamaha TZ250. Now that might be a fun track bike.

Anything 250 two stroke. Hehe, I once kept up with a few Gixxer 750's and CBR's in the twisties with a Derbi 50.

Back