Anyone had experience with NESBA and dump pipes?

jdsbusa

Registered
I was reading up on the NESBA site regarding tech inspection points and found this - Exhaust (all bikes must have mufflers in working order). I'm far from having a "muffler" and wondering if anyone else running dumps has been ok with the the inspection part of a track day or seen/know anyone that regularly tracks their Busa running dumps. ???

Thanks Shane - I wrote to NESBA and they wrote back, the tech that responded said he likely wouldn't pass me if they're straight pipes, which they are but there's that little hair dryer thing that really breaks down the noise compared to normal straight pipes. :laugh: I've run straight and they are VERY loud compared to my dumps. I did speak with a guy at work who said he doubts they'd really have a problem once they heard them because a HD or other cruiser with true straight pipes still drowns my Busa out easily.

Sure would hate it for you if you didnt pass and are out the price of a track day. Dont think they give refunds for not passing. Good luck

Heres a pick of my setup when it was being mocked up. I have a slip joint so I can pull the muffler then go to a turn down pipe.
HPIM2312-1.jpg

HPIM2301-1.jpg

They wont allow it, period. Why not get a pipe and muffler made like me so you can switch between the to.

Have you spoken to techs about it or is this just a personal opinion? Just curious because I have received an answer back from another tech who said it likely won't be an issue with him (different org than the NESBA that runs track days). Seems like there's not really a definitive answer out there, I even asked about them using a decibel meter and none do, seems it's up to the opinion of tech even though some full exhaust systems are just about as loud as I am.

On a side note, has anyone tried to baffle their dumps? I used them before on a straight exhaust and they made a big difference. I was thinking about getting one to fit the dump and having a nut welded to the outside of the pipe so I can just bolt the baffle in as needed.

Have you spoken to techs about it or is this just a personal opinion? Just curious because I have received an answer back from another tech who said it likely won't be an issue with him (different org than the NESBA that runs track days)

Yes, I did speak with a tech. NESBA's rules don't bend. I wouldn't go by what another organizations tech said. Hey, send nesba an email, they're nice peeps, will answer all your questions.

NESBA requires a muffler in good working condition. They will turn away rides that have gutted mufflers at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA.

I got the green light from the tech at the track I'm going to (Blackhawk Farms Raceway). One of the guys I work with raced for several years and said my bike is nowhere near as loud as what he rode and motogp bikes make mine sound almost pathetic which makes me wonder why they say "track rules" for decibel levels when the pros obviously exceed any noise limits (apparently pro gets the "pass" eh). ??? Oh wells....still going to work on a simple removable baffle to try to bring the noise down a level or two for the sake of the neighbors anyway. :laugh:

I did send NESBA an email and kind of got the run around, no definite answer, so no real help there. I might check with STT as well, they run events at the same tracks in this area (BFR and the Autobahn).

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about a dump pipe. I was saying that anything that sounds about like a gutted muffler will get turned away. If you bike doesn't have a working muffler it will not be allowed on the track.

Back