track day?

samw5

Registered
I've been seriously considering taking the bike to some local track day events.

i don't have a truck to bring the bike to the track, which is about 1h20min from home. I wouldn't have a problem riding there but I'm concerned about potential crashes.

I know i'm not supposed to think about it, but I'm concerned about what would happen if god forbit anything went wrong.
i can assume that the bike would already be in bad shape, and that the insurance would most likely not cover any of it.
would i be anymore practical and worthy investing in a set of track day body panels, or should i start looking at a smaller bike dedicated for the track... not sure how much the busa can really be opened up on a race track.

BTW I have been considering the NESBA, not sure if there are any other ways of doing track days.

I'm located in MD.

Any input would be welcome!

I don't think it would be wise... sure it could be done. Maybe find someone from the area that is going and get a ride with them.

u mean not trailing the bike to the track or the 120mi of ride before the session (i was actually thinking about riding there the day b4).

I bought a Gixxer 750 for the track, and no I dont think you should ride it there. You may need a fuel jug, clean dry clothes after the trackday, cod refreshments maybe even lunch ect..

Try nullTeam-Promotion, tell them Steve sent yah!

Here's a brief summary:

What's a track day?

what really happens once you get to the track...

What is a track day?... Tell me more

I have highlighted the day, so that those of you who have never visited a track day will have an idea of how they work.

ARRIVE
Arrive at track about 8AM. The crew are already hard at work as riders unpack and ready their equipment. In order to ride a track at an open track day, there isn't much that has to be done to your bike, in fact, I prepared mine after I arrived.

Preparing the bike includes the removal of mirrors, taping (duct tape works great) the headlight, tail lights, directionals, and reflectors.  This prevents the platic/glass from spilling out on the track in case the bike decides to fall over - it's never the rider's fault:)

TECH
After the bike is prepped... take it to "TECH"￾ This is an area easily identified by the line of riders.  At "tech"￾ the crew reviews the bikes tires, taping and usually is quick to tape the little things that may have been overlooked like the Wheel weights.  Their job is to keep the track and riders safe.

RIDERS' MEETING
Onto the riders' meeting.  Dustin and crew greets everyone and review some basic track safety including the flag system.  YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF THE TRACK FLAGS PRIOR TO THE EVENT! I have been to several track events, and all to often, riders do not understand the flags.  I do believe that most track days have flag information available prior to tack day!

With about sixty riders present, they are divided into fast (race) and slower (streets) groups.  The separation is solely dependent on the riders at first.  Later if you are too fast for the street group, the crew may advance you to the race group.

By 9AM, the balance of the day is nothing but riding!  A rotation of groups in 20 minute intervals. That is a LOT of riding!

If you are new to the track or that track in particular, you will spend a good 10 laps or the 1st session learning the track layout and corners, another session or so finding good lines and the rest of the time really dialing in on the lap times, or just enjoying you, the bike and the track.  I can't emphasize the exhilaration that you feel knowing that the road is yours! No cops, nor cars, not even something coming in the opposite direction!  Your total concentration on improving your skills.

By the end of the day you are TIRED. Be careful not to ride beyond you bodies limits. Your muscles may be tired, your adrenaline depleted and if you continue to push it, bad things can happen. It is always better to stop early with your body, bike and ego in tact, rather than shattered.

Some tips for track day attendance...

Drink fluids - replenish the fluids in your body. Depending on heat it is easy to become dehydrated. With all the adrenaline flowing, you don't always realize that your body is lacking fluid.
Don't forget to eat something for energy.  I start with a good breakfast, and use protein bars and fruit during the day. Maybe a light lunch, too.
Don't forget the bike....
Gasoline - most track days do NOT have gasoline available - bring your own.  I used 10 gallons during the day!
Chain lube - keep it lubed and it will treat you right
Oil - Don't know that I ever needed it, but always have it.
Air for the tires - at least check them before the track.  Some riders tune their suspension and tire pressure to dial the bike in.
Get out and ENJOY a  track day.  You'll find them around the country, so there is little excuse not to try one. I'm sure once you do, you'll be hooked, and you'll ride with a new attitude on the street.

I think I'm more likely to crash on the street than the track. Its all about what you are trying to do at the track. If you're trying to go as fast as you can, then you might crash. But if you stay within your comfort zone and have fun, you're more likely to crash on the street. The street has dirt, oil, cars, etc...

The hard part about riding to and from trackdays is that you are pretty tired at the end of a track day. Most riders can't even do all 8 sessions.

Insurance probably won't cover trackdays because they consider it racing. But as long as you didn't get hurt, you could always "say" you crashed on a road.

I take my Busa and my 750 to trackdays. I love the Busa at the track. But a smaller bike will teach you more about corner speed and is easier to ride fast.

I wouldn't spend any extra money yet. Do a few days and see how you like it. If you'll be happy on the Busa or if you want something else.

You are right about the sessions. At Pacific, I sat out the 8th run. I had enough. We had rode for 3 days prior with a lot of miles wrung up.
beerchug.gif

Yup, its hard to get the easy-up, chairs, cooler, beverages, lunch, fuel jug with extra gas, etc... to the track when you ride there
winkold.gif

cool thanks for all the tips... I could always have the lady follow me with the car for the weekend.
I was thinking about taking a hotel room around for a couple of days, maybe do some sight seing on the next day.

But yeah I hear your point about more likely to get in trouble on the street, I'm just a bit more worried since it's not as close to home (though again I do go on 400mi trips once in a while).

Anyways, I'll definitely look at all those options.

Cheers!

U-haul truck rental, you can always get help at the track to help you unload and load the bike. Everyone is helpful and it is a quick way to meet some new friends. You will want to take cooler, tools, extra clothes, chair, some food, water, extra gas.

I got a little Mitsbishi Lancer 4 door gas sipping car, last year I had U-haul add a hitch. The only thing I can tow is a motorcycle trailer or their smallest trailer they have (think it is a 5x7'). The motorcycle trailer runs me $21 for 24 hrs including insurance on the trailer. That is how I get the Busa to my trackdays. Best $220 investment on the car I made was for that hitch.

Trailer the bike there, the night before you can have it all taped up and ready for prep. Just makes life easier.

ok sounds pretty good. I'm looking for a hitch attachment for our car (poor little Saturn SL but it should be ok with only a class I hitch).

I've been looking at trailers as well, I may just end up renting it for now but would you guys consider the small front wheel only trailers that lift the front wheel of the bike and let the rear roll? If not I was looking at something like this: http://tinylink.com/?kTzNfapQ3P but again I probably wouldn't invest in that unless I think it's worth it.

One thing I would definitely need (and should already have gotten) is a set of tie downs for the bike. What would you guys recommend? 2 or 3 long tie downs (how long) and a Canyon Dancer with it? Any particular model? How do you securely tie the bike down (around the forks and wheels) so that it doesn't damage the plastics and paint?

Thanks a bunch for all the tips. It's definitely a learning experience.

There are other class 1 trailers that trailer both wheels up. But they'll all be rail trailers. Remember that with class 1 trailers, what matter is tongue weight. I think its 220 lbs MAX

what about the tie downs? only 2 needed or should i go with 4? canyon dancer as well (or overkill)? any brand i should look for?

Oh ya that's the other thing I was looking at but I don't have that much confidence in it... probably would rather rent a trailer for now (<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-CARRIER-TOW-DOLLY-trailer-rack-sport-bike_W0QQitemZ170216963416QQcmdZViewItem?h
ash=item170216963416&" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">dolly</a>)

I use 2 tiedowns for each side on the front.

And a 3rd tiedown through the rear wheel to keep it from bouncing out of the rail. Unlikely, but why risk it.

You can NEVER have too many tie downs. Never, nope, not possible. As a matter of fact I think I will replace mine they are like 5 years old. Still work, just old and dirty, they can be my emergency loaner straps that someone might need in a pinch.

I just came off my first track experience this past weekend. I did a "test the track" session and there was a very minimal tech inspection. We didn't even have to tape the lights or remove the mirrors. Just rode to the track from my garage and then right out onto the tarmac for my first session. It was the coolest thing I've ever done. Read about my experience here:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92914

I highly recommend it at least once in your life.

Back