Toyota belts and hoses question

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 2.4 L, 160K miles. I have a couple aftermarket manuals for it, and I googled this "belts and hoses" question. Seems to be alot of variation in the "answer". I know lots of good maintenance info is here though:thumbsup:

I have flushed the radiator, but the origninal OEM belts and hoses look good, are they living on borrowed time? These are on my winter maintenance agenda.

Will the Non-factory replacements be inferior quality?

Should I change the water pump while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance for all the great advice buddies!

Well to start, take the belt (s) off, then turn them inside out under the garage light, if their cracked or missing little chunks AT ALL, replace them. "Preventative maintenance is cheaper than repair."
Now for the water pump, its the seal that goes behind the pulley shaft bearings that usually goes bad, causing coolant to run out of whats called a "weephole". It may not run at first, but might barely dribble, has your coolant level dropped at all? Oh, and the gasket between the water pump and the block does not go that often, but more likely when somebody replaced it and did not prep the surfaces correctly. Whats the price of the water pump? it may just be cheap insurance to change it. (see quote above)
BTW, is your coolant still the original?

Well to start, take the belt (s) off, then turn them inside out under the garage light, if their cracked or missing little chunks AT ALL, replace them. "Preventative maintenance is cheaper than repair."
Now for the water pump, its the seal that goes behind the pulley shaft bearings that usually goes bad, causing coolant to run out of whats called a "weephole". It may not run at first, but might barely dribble, has your coolant level dropped at all? Oh, and the gasket between the water pump and the block does not go that often, but more likely when somebody replaced it and did not prep the surfaces correctly. Whats the price of the water pump? it may just be cheap insurance to change it. (see quote above)
BTW, is your coolant still the original?

Coolant was drained and replaced by me two years ago, and I believe(but dont trust dealer did it once before that).

No coolant loss. Thanks for all the info. I would hate to purchase a poorer quality rebuilt water pump, If toyota's OEM usually lasts much longer.

Last edited:
Robot:

I am a x toyota tech of 13 years. The OEM belts are the best. I switched mine out after 80k and only minor signs of cracking. Get the orignal belts a swap them out. Change the water pump once it starts leaking or if there is play in it. When the belt is removed, grap the nose of it and move it up and down or side to side. I have a 2001 Toyota tacoma and its been going strong since December 26 2000.

Whichever you decide to do be certain to apply a liberal coating of Axle grease to the inside of each pulley wheel before reinstalling. Supposed to really cut down on parasitic losses from running all them power hogging accessories.

Wear comfy shoes.... :whistle:

:bowdown: comfy shoes. . . lol

Whichever you decide to do be certain to apply a liberal coating of Axle grease to the inside of each pulley wheel before reinstalling. Supposed to really cut down on parasitic losses from running all them power hogging accessories.

Wear comfy shoes.... :whistle:

Back