GenII How to Remove Radiator and Oil Cooler

Mythos

Registered
Radiator/Oil Cooler Removal
Aside from replacing or repairing a radiator or oil cooler, you will be safest to remove them for a full system exhaust installation.

Tools:
phillips screwdriver
drip pan, 5 qaurts or larger
needle nose pliers
small sheets of plastic
rubber bands
10mm socket
6â€￾ ratchet extension
9â€￾ ratchet extension
5mm hex key socket
cup

Remove side fairings.

Do not perform any procedures on the cooling system until the motor has cooled down.

Removal
1. Remove the radiator cap by pressing down and turning one quarter turn. Turn another quarter turn and the cap will come off.
rmvradcap.jpg

2. Using a phillips screwdriver, remove the hose clamp from the inlet hose of the radiator. Place a drip pan, 5 qaurts or larger, under the hose connection and twist the hose to loosen it from the radiator. Carefully pull the hose back until coolant starts to run from the hose.
draincoolant.jpg

If you are very careful, you will be able to catch all of the coolant in a drip pan. It should be transferred to a clean container and capped for storage so that it will not be contaminated.

3. Use a phillips screwdriver to remove the hose clamp from the radiator exit hose.
rmvrethose.jpg

4. Use a needle nose pliers to release the clamp on the small radiator hose. Pull the hose off of the fitting.
rmvsmallhos.jpg

5. To avoid contamination and leakage mess, place a small sheet of plastic over the open end of each hose and radiator fitting. Secure each with a rubber band. 
dstcvrsrgtradJPG.jpg

dstcvrsleftrad.jpg

6. Press the tab to unlock the connector and remove it from the radiator fan.
fanrght.jpg

There is a connector to remove on each side, one for each of the two radiator fans.

7. Use a 10mm socket to remove each of the two radiator/oil cooler mounting screws.
1radoilclrmntblts.jpg

8. Using a 10mm socket and 6â€￾ extension, remove the radiator mounting bolt and washer from the top of the radiator. There are one of each on both sides.
2radoilclrmtgblts.jpg

9. Support the radiator with one hand to prevent it from falling. Use a 9â€￾ extension and 10mm socket to remove the radiator bracket mounting bolt and washer [circled in yellow].
3radoilclrmnting.jpg

10. Remove the radiator being careful not to bend any of the delicate fins.
remvrad.jpg

11. Remove the tubes from the oil cooler using a 5mm hex key socket. Have a cup ready under the tube in case oil drips when it is disconnected.
rmvrghtcowlingcatchovrfloodJPG.jpg

12. Support the oil cooler with one hand. Use a 10mm socket to remove the oil cooler bracket bolt and washer under the oil cooler. Remove the oil cooler.
4radmtngblt.jpg

13. To avoid contamination, place sheets of plastic secured with rubber bands over the
open fittings on the oil cooler and the oil cooler tubes.
oilcooler.jpg

cvroilclr.jpg

Installation
14. Reinstall the oil cooler using the reverse procedure of steps 11-13 above. The service manual recommends that the o-rings on the exit and return tube fittings be replaced. Apply engine oil to the o-rings before reconnecting the oil cooler hoses. Tighten the oil cooler hose bolts to 7 foot pounds.

15. Reinstall the radiator, reconnect the radiator hoses and the two fan electrical leads using the reverse procedures outlined in step 2-10 above.

16. Slowly pour the engine coolant that was removed in step 2 of this tutorial back into the radiator. Bleed the cooling system of air. (Seehttps://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/168998-genii-coolant-system-flush-engine-coolant-change.html, steps 7-9).

There is no need to remove either to remove/install the header.
Just remove the bottom mounting bolts and they will both move forward enough.:beerchug:

I must admit, I didn't even want to try that. This is the second exhaust install I have done in my entire life. Enough bad words were muttered in the process both times. I may leave the radiator on by the time I get to the 4th or 5th bike. :laugh:

OH...I see, you could remove the bottom bracket on the oil cooler from the motor so that the OEM header crossbrace could slip past it. The oil cooler could just hang on its hoses without disconnecting them. The radiator could just tip forward on its bottom bracket.

crossmmbr.jpg

I'm at a loss here! I can't seem to get the oil cooler lines to line up exactly. The right side is more off than the left. I can get them on with a lot of force, but the right line gets really distorted. Looks like it might break. Seems like they should go on a lot easier. Thanks in advance for any help!

1118121340-00.jpg

1118121342-00.jpg

1118121408-00.jpg

1118121409-00.jpg

1118121409-01.jpg

1118121411-00.jpg

Just a guess...did you put the oil cooler on in front of the the radiator? There are tabs with screw holes. The radiator tabs overlap the oil cooler tabs. If installed in reverse order that may cause the oil lines to need another 1/2" or so reach. The oil cooler tabs go behind the radiator tabs (see step 7 above).

...just went out to look at my bike and to me looks like the oil cooler is installed properly. The rubber rings are out in front as they should be. I installed my oil lines before I mounted the oil cooler to the bottom of the radiator so to me, it seemed to go together very easily.

If you want to take the trouble, you could just remove the two screws that hold the oil cooler to the radiator. Then you can move your oil cooler closer or father as needed to connect the i lines without pulling on them. Then bolt the poil cooler back up the radiator.

Back