Touring Japan

steelhead

Registered
Destination: Japan
Writing from Seoul, South Korea.
Nationality/Flag: Canadian

I am thinking about touring Japan on my Hayabusa
smile.gif

Thinking, that is: September 25 - October 6 , 2006. Timeline is approximate.

If anyone has information about places to visit and stay, any tips would be genuinely appreciated. Those who can provide housing can be re-imbursed or they can lodge stay at my apartment in Seoul, likewise.

I don't expect any replies since this is predominantly an American board, but, information may still reside here. So, here goes!

Thanks in advance.

SteelHead.

I was stationed in Iwakuni and I drove from there to Osaka on hwy 1 I think. That was a fun drive very nice road lots of sweeping turns and tunnels, it would be great on a Busa.

Peace park in Hiroshima is intresting to see also, it's amazing what the bomb did
AAAssjani.gif
they have a musem with lots of stuff. Be aware though, it depicts the whole thing like the USA just came along and dropped the bomb for no reason, not a single mention of pearl harbor or the war.

Try to catch a baseball game while your there, it is very entertaning to watch
ices_rofl.gif
other than that the Japanese are very friendly and you will probally make a friend to guide you around and help you out real fast.

Thats my.02 cents

How are you getting your bike down there and will it be a problem to get it on the road?

I highly recommend you climb Mt. Fuji while there... Also, let me know if you will be anywhere near NAF Atsugi or Camp Zama.

(MC MUSTANG @ Sep. 12 2006,12:21) How are you getting your bike down there and will it be a problem to get it on the road?

I highly recommend you climb Mt. Fuji while there...  Also, let me know if you will be anywhere near NAF Atsugi or Camp Zama.
I second Mt Fuji... i never got a chance to see it myself but my wife went with friends while we were stationed in Okinawa. If you can ride up that direction!

(Sloto200 @ Sep. 12 2006,12:23)
(MC MUSTANG @ Sep. 12 2006,12:21) How are you getting your bike down there and will it be a problem to get it on the road?

I highly recommend you climb Mt. Fuji while there...  Also, let me know if you will be anywhere near NAF Atsugi or Camp Zama.
I second Mt Fuji... i never got a chance to see it myself but my wife went with friends while we were stationed in Okinawa.  If you can ride up that direction!
You can ride around the mountain, and can ride up to the two tourist areas at station 5, just make sure that you come down the same side that you go up!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies Warwgn, MCMustang, and Sloto200. I am thinking about ferrying it over to Fukoka from Pusan, South Korea.  

Total costs look expensive though for the entire trip. Looks like 3 grand after everything is said and done for 11 days. So, I'm asking around.

beerchug.gif

SteelHead

Hey Steel,
Have you already looked into this? I ask because I remember that they are very particular about who drives and vehicular registration...

Captain, do we have a potential live one here...
Perhaps another contact who can attempt another contact...
Nevermind, no sense sacrificing another innocent soul to the Redheads temper...

jump9.gif

(Devious @ Sep. 12 2006,14:50)

jump9.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(Devious @ Sep. 12 2006,12:50)

jump9.gif
Steelhead confused. But that's ok. Sacrifice...live one?...Mt. Fuji...me...doesn't sound good.  All I want to do is ride my Hayabusa. No need for Joe Versus the Volcano (Tom Hanks)...kamikazee...glory to the emperor stuff. I'm brave enough, I think, considering how Japanese Taxi cabbies drive for the most part .
biggrin.gif

As for registration and biking, yes, I'm checking it out, too. Thanks McMustang. If you know the regulations for foreign bikers touring on their bikes in Japan, your thoughts would be appreciated.

SteelHead

Steelhead

I believe you can drive over here on an international license for a short period of time. You should be able to purchase international license from an insurance company.

Also, check on the shipping rates again. The price you were quoted sounds expensive. I shipped a 4-wheel drive truck from Fukuoka to Okinawa for less than $600.00.

I think riding a bike on mainland is the only way to go. The traffic isn't quite as bad as S. Korea so you should be fine. If there is any specific information that you need, I can try to get it for you.

A Canadian in Korea...working for Exxon? Probably Oil / gas though. Where are you from?

ESCAPE magazine is a great resource for those types of tours.
They just did a write up on a couple of those destinations.

although taking your own bikes would be doubtful, there is plenty of info on rentals of basic bikes to all inclusive tours.

3 grand includes ferry, gas, tolls, food, and hotel.
11 days.

Are there backroads I can take to avoid the highway? Thanks.

SteelHead.

Back