touring busa

ellis44n

Registered
I am a new busa owner and my wife and I are going to touring on it (to hell with my bmw) I was wondering what tires to use for long distance and if there are any other must have mods? Thanks.

For my ride from CA to CO and back last summer I put a Pilot Road on the rear. Still have it and its got about 8,000 on it and still looks good. I always run a Pilot Power front. I also never leave w/o my V1 radar detector and throttlemeister. Both, very handy.

it was my understanding that the Road2 used a softer sidewall is all.. the center is the normal "road" compound..

it was my understanding that the Road2 used a softer sidewall is all..  the center is the normal "road" compound..
I'm not sure what the exact compounds are, I was just referring that the center has a harder compound than the sides and a harder compound than sport tires.

Softer on the sides is better anyway, no touring rider is going to wear the sides out first.  They ride a lot of straight road.

Pirelli Diablo Strada's is what i use for my long distance riding...unfortunately for you, there are probably going to be as many different ideas posted up here as there are posters, however, the good thing is all of the tires posted up so far would probably get the job done for you if you aren't picky about who is the manufacturer
beerchug.gif

The first gen Pilot Roads wear like iron, know several people who have gotten 12000+ miles on them. Since the Road2s are out you could probably get the old ones pretty cheap too.

it was my understanding that the Road2 used a softer sidewall is all.. the center is the normal "road" compound..
I'm not sure what the exact compounds are, I was just referring that the center has a harder compound than the sides and a harder compound than sport tires.

Softer on the sides is better anyway, no touring rider is going to wear the sides out first. They ride a lot of straight road.
info was a bit hard to find on these and what I did find was that the center compound is the same as the PR. The sidewalls however were closer (if not the same) as the PP. (good news as side grip is like money, never too much)

The sidewalls on the PP2 are supposed to be similar (if not the same) as the Pilot Race.. I wonder if they can make a PR3 with the hard center and the gooey sides?
smile.gif

I sure wish this tire thing was easier... there are so many choices that by the time you get a tire picked out, the tire makers have another new one to look at..

I need a spare set of wheels so I can have both sets mounted...
smile.gif

smile.gif

This is good info. Thanks guys. I'm thinking of going on a long distance trip and tires is one of the first things I'll be thinking about
thumb_up.gif

Thanks I really apreciate the advice. I like my pilot powers but they are burnt up. anyone want and P.O.S. bmw?

Busa_001.jpg

I'm not quite sure I got that, do you like your pilot powers?

j/k. I've been running Avon's for about 30,000 miles. 7-8,000 miles and they stick ok in the corners.

I'm the 3rd bike. I rode 620 miles each direction to get there on these same tires. Still look great. The bikes in the shop today or I'd post up a pic.
100_2102.wmv

If you are gonna go touring with your wife on the back, you might want to look at replacing your stock seat. The busa stock seat sucks for long rides. I went with the Corbin front and back. Huge difference! Plus, try wearing padded bicycling pants underneath. Great for long distance rides.

I've had good luck with the Pilot Roads, the Avons, and the Diablo Stradas. You name it, I've probably tried it when it comes to ST tire, although they've all been on other bikes--mostly Bandits.

I'm planning on a Pro Oiler as my next mod, since I don't want to screw with chain lubing.

POS BMW? which and how much? really been looking for one to play with..

Back