Too much oil?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
The guys on SH.org seemed to think that accidentally adding say 4 ounces too much oil wouldn't hurt and that adding a full gallon when changing is OK. Does everyone here agree with that?

in between the marks is where I try to put it.(3.6 qt's)

<!--EDIT|busa boyz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142289053 -->

I have heard that too much oil could make you lose some horse power. Resistance the extra oil put on the gears. I don't know if it would be noticed, but a mechanic told me that on my 636. He drag races.

Four quarts are not going to hurt anything
wink.gif

the guys that spend alot of time on one wheel and also hard launching add abit more oil to prevent starvation .

I just changed my oil and filter for the first time on my brand new 06', and initially put the 3.6 quarts like the manual suggests, but it didn't even put enough oil in it to see through the site glass. I added the rest of the fourth quart, and I could then see it in the site, but still wasn't between the marks, so I added another 2 ounces, and it's now perfect. I don't understand where the 3.6 comes from because that wasn't anywhere near enough, and yes, the bike was completely level.

JUST MAKE CERTAIN YOUR CHECKING OIL LEVELS WITH BIKE UPRIGHT, NOT ON SIDE STAND.

There is a point where too much oil can do some damage, cause problems.

There is wiggle room, but I wouldn't over do it.

Way to much oil is bad but not unfixable. 4 qt's should be fine
Way too much is oil a very bad thing. When it cavitates and starves the entire engine she'll be unfixable...or at least not worth fixing.

Will 4oz do it? Unlikely.

Problem is, putting in 4 quarts is not overfilling it by 4 ounces.
The owners manual calles for 3.5 quarts with a new filter. THAT IS NOT 3 QUARTS 5 OUNCES! If you put in 4 quarts you just overfilled your engine by 16 OUNCES. Depending on the design of the engine you may end up with cavitation or excessive pressure which will eventually kill seals.

Shop manual differs by calling for 3.7 with new filter. Personally I put in 3 full bottles and ½ of another bottle and then add a little bit at a time until the oil is at the proper site glass level. If you're gonna do it, take the extra 2 minutes and do it right.

I've been going by the manual. And on two different bikes have spun bearings. I also drag race my bikes, so I'll be doing the 4 quarts from now on.

I add four quarts each time, changing the filter at the same time. Four years and 29K miles later, no problems.

Stealth

i put the whole gallon but i do not care to get the drips out. once it stops flowing steadily, i say its enough.

i poured oil back into the gallon container that i put in the bike, and it was just full... so i see no problem

The first time I changed mine, I put in the suggested amount and couldn't see anything in the sight glass with the bike level, so I added and added until I had poured the whole gallon jug in and - whoops - suddenly it was at the top of the sight glass. So I drained some out and poured some in, drained a little out and poured a little in and finally got it just right. Then I looked at the jug and there was maybe an inch of oil remaining in it.

Now I just dump the gallon jug in and forget about it. Three years later, no problems.

Ed

Back