To trade or not to trade?

OB_Kaw9R

Registered
I've got visions of a red/gray Busa running through my mind and have one in sight.

Question:
Should I trade my '98 9R on it or attempt to get retail for my bike (difference of approx. $1k-1.5k? Two dealerships say I should have no problem selling the 9R on my own.

There's very few sportbikes in the papers these days. I would advertise for $7,699. NADA is $6k/trade $7,300/retail.

I've never sold a bike on my own (traded the last one on a car). Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Kaw9R (edited 09 April 2000).]

have ever considered e-bay, that way you don't have to deal with people you could be scouting a rip off. Ive had alot of success selling things there.

You need to consider that if you trade you only pay taxes on the difference. Should save you $500 or so. In other words you should get at least $500 more than the dealer will give you to make it worth your while to go through the hassle of selling it yourself. And believe me its a hassle. People coming by trying to bad talk your bike to get a good price. People calling saying they are on the way and never show up.
Its frustrating.

Oh, also I traded a 99 ZX-9 for my Red and Grey and have never regreted it. I was worried about the handling but I believe it handles just as well on the street maybe even better. My 9r handled very well but bumps...damn bumps...My arse stayed puckered all the time on the 9 in the curves. My busa soaks up the bumps and is rock steady. I really think I am just as fast on the busa in the curves. I was also worried about the wheelies. I loved riding wheelies on my 9.
Once I got the hang of the busa though it wheelies just as well. Can ride second gear wheelies forever. Good luck.

Was thinking about trading my Busa for a 2000 9R. Dealers are quoting me (prior to haggling) around $2000 (plus tax on the $2000) to do this.

Don't think I'm willing to spring for the 2K cause I haven't gotten enough use out of the Busa yet. Plus, I'm not fully sold on the new 9R (some carb problems this year apparently). I'll wait to see what the new Gixxer 1000 is all about.

My thinking is that a private sale is better than a trade moneywise. The downsides are that test pilots show up at your door, and you may not be able to sell your bike before the latest 'hot' bikes are spoken for in the spring.

Ok guys, thanks for the advice

I've decided to sell on my own as the tax savings here will equal ~$150 US, but the savings of paying cash will more than make up for it. If I don't get what I want for the 9r, then I'll be riding that too (great attitude huh?). ...So the 9r is for sale $7,600 ...I'll get pics together soon.

I called around and found a ~nice~ price: $10,799 + $15 30-day tag, no assembly, no freight! The dealer is in another state so I don't pay taxes until I register it myself. Therefore my TOTAL price will be $11,172.47 ...Only one catch, it won't be in until the 20th or 22nd.

I traded in my 98 R1 for my red/gray Busa. I decided to trade it in because with the tax benefits I figured it would come close to what I would be able to sell the R1 for with the added benefit that I wouldn't have to place an add and find a buyer. Not to mention the extra time needed to sell the bike.

I traded in my 97 GSXR750 when I purchased my 99 Busa last spring. I had thought about selling the GSXer myself and had adverised in one of those weekly publications. I ended up with a cash offer from a used bike reseller but it was quite a bit below retail. When I went to do the trade at the dealer I used the previous cash offer to get a reasonable trade in price for the GSXer. A good trade in price and the sales tax savings made for a pretty reasonable deal. I was able to pick up my Busa as soon as it arrived at the dealer without the hassle of selling my used bike. Better yet, the dealer has not sold my 750 (he's asking too much) so when I stop in to buy an oil filter for the Busa I get to say hi to an old friend.

I picked my Red/Grey Busa up Saturday and rode it home, 92 miles. I was outrunning a storm. I won. I expected the Busa to feel heavy, but it felt like my 89 GSXR750. I love my BIRD.

Back