To cool or not to cool..

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Turbo heads,

First, thank you for the informative PM's and the quick replies from questions asked. It really is appreciated and believe me when I say this.
shake.gif

Now, I have heard the pro's and the con's and the "don't need to run one" on the turbo. I'm leaning toward's running an oil cooler myself. I have two(2). Stock and a MC Express version I bought from this site.

I would think the MC Express would be the way to go as it is smaller and would tuck in above the turbo. This would also allow a little more air flow into the turbo. Oil lines? Haven't got to that point but an email is in to RCC.

OK, just your thoughts folks. Keep it nice now.
winkold.gif

r8

Yes high temp lines. As your getting ready to find out turbo bikes are the greatest fun you can have on a bike. With that said don't take any shortcuts. I've had three and they can be irratating as well. My advice is think of every possible thing that could possibly cause a problem and stop it before it happens. MY THREE RULES: Quality kit
Quality install
Quality tune
then don't run more boost than your supposed to, frequent oil changes{synth}, visually look things over before and after rides. Welcome to an elite or crazy club
thumb_up.gif

It doesn't hurt anything to run an oil cooler. Since space is a premium most don't have the room for one. Is it required, no.

If you do plan to run one make sure you have high quality hgh temp oil lines and keep them shielded from heat. It wouldn't be prety if a line started to rub or touch the turbo outlet housing or dump/exhaust pipe.

Doing research now. Checking on using the stock ends but having a high temp line installed on them. They might be available for sale but I haven't got that far yet.

Summit Racing has some insulation (for lack of a better word) that slip over lines. Waiting on catalog.

Brendanp told me there is a place close to him that does hydraulic lines so we will see.

Thanks guys. Greg, your vid is sick!

r8

It doesn't hurt anything to run an oil cooler. Since space is a premium most don't have the room for one. Is it required, no.

If you do plan to run one make sure you have high quality hgh temp oil lines and keep them shielded from heat. It wouldn't be prety if a line started to rub or touch the turbo outlet housing or dump/exhaust pipe.
thumb_up.gif

r8

Call Velocity Racing. They put one on my bike{tubular h2o oil filter} Goes on the side spliced into the radiator hose. Works bettor than stock one.

Don't know but my temp didn't move any after install and 2.5 hard hours on the dyno, and more importantly stayed same on the street. You want to raise your coolant temps? Run an intercooler.

Just get a generic oil core, use the same inlet/outlet from the engine, get some oil line and stick it in.
Whats the issue? Its not rocket science.
This has been in for 3 years with no probs.

OILCOOLER1.JPG

Back