TiVo

Iced

f=12;t=13696;act=ST
Donating Member
Registered
Do you use a TiVo or another type of PVR? What model and is it a stand alone or integrated unit like the Philips DSR6000 (DirecTV/TiVo)?

What are your likes/dislikes?

I'm curious as to how many have used this technology. I've been using one for about 2 years now. I could not live without it.

We just bought our DirecTV/TiVo unit a few months back...I can't remember life without it! Nothing like recording all those shows you usually miss or forget about, and then watch them in a fraction of the time it would have taken had you watched it live...

I have small children, so sitting down and watching TV isn't usually a reality...since owning TiVo, we actually get to watch shows again...granted, it's after they go to bed and we try to cram in several shows in an hour, but it's been well worth it...

No complaints from me...I love it!
smile.gif

I have the Dish Network version... 2 years now... sweet.

I hate when I'm driving, and miss something on the radio, I go to reach for the rewind button........ but ITS NOT THERE!!!
mad.gif

I have the Dish Network version...   2 years now... sweet.

I hate when I'm driving, and miss something on the radio, I go to reach for the rewind button........ but ITS NOT THERE!!!    
mad.gif
hahahaha, so true cache... i've done that too many times to remember
smile.gif

VA, which DirecTiVo unit did u get?

I love those season's passes... Yeah! Never miss an episode, i usually watch everything on the weekend that i missed during the week.

I forgot to say i've upgraded mine to 148hrs (installed a 120Gig drive in addition to the 40Gig that was there)... Also installed a TurboNET network card and installed TiVoWeb so I can access my TiVo over the internet from work in case i forget to schedule something
smile.gif

I also installed some extraction tools to extract video and write to DVD.

Such a beautiful toy.

I have the 80 hour model.  I am planning to hack it this Spring.  Since the OS is Linux and I am a guru, I figured I could mess with it.

Here are some of the upgrades I am planning:
1. 240GB High-end SCSI RAID with good cache;
2. Online capabilities (via cable modem);
3. Web browsing and remote programming;
4. Enhanced menuing system;
5. 6 channel simultanious recording (via VMware and additional tuners);
6. Running 3000+ arcade games via MAME and a multi-game controller.

I like your idea of extraction to DVD! If I think of other cool additions, I will prolly work it.

cool.gif

<!--EDIT|The Oracle
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080330916 -->

I have the 80 hour model.  I am planning to hack it this Spring.  Since the OS is Linux and I am a guru, I figured I could mess with it.

I like your idea of extraction to DVD!  If I think of other cool additions, I will prolly work it.

cool.gif
In a series 2 tuner? (I'm assuming series 2 because of 80hrs)

How do u plan on going about #1, #5, #6? Hope you have a cross-compiler
smile.gif

btw: you aren't gonna hack it this Spring, you'll be RIDING hehe...

I like your idea of extraction to DVD!  If I think of other cool additions, I will prolly work it.

cool.gif
In a series 2 tuner? (I'm assuming series 2 because of 80hrs)

How do u plan on going about #1, #5, #6?  Hope you have a cross-compiler
smile.gif

btw: you aren't gonna hack it this Spring, you'll be RIDING hehe...
I hope to do it (my research says I should be able to) by making a hybrid out of my TiVo and several PC's I have laying around. I am planning to create a grid with all of them and placing it in my basement with wiring running to theater room.

Of course this is a project in my mind (and with the help of some other Linux admin guru buddies). We are planning to create a small TiVo network in my house.

I will post as we do things...

Sounds like a cool idea
smile.gif
 You might want to check out DealDatabase if you haven't already.  

I also play around with Linux and do a lot of development
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Iced
Reason for Edit: "Update URL"|1080572464 -->

smile.gif

Back