Direct tv tivo

MoosesBusa

Former BusaHolic
Donating Member
Registered
Considering getting a TIVO for my Direct TV. I know exactly squat aboout ANY part of it.
Is there an extra charge for using a Tivo?
Do I HAVE to buy it from DTV?
If No, Where's the best place to go for the best Unit/ Price? Can I set it up myself ?
Will I have to hook my phone line up the the Box to get it to wrok?
My small mind wants to know and truly appreciates your responses.

---Yes, $4.95 per month per Tivo. Make sure to get the "dual tuner". Then you can tape 2 shows at once and watch one previously recorded while doing it.
---I THINK so, or rent it from them for another $4.95
If No, Where's the best place to go for the best Unit/ Price?
---I dunno
Can I set it up myself ?
---Yep.  Easy breezy.
---Yeah, unfortunately you do.  If you don't it starts complaining then just stops working.  Trust me on this one, I tried.

FWIW, I love my Tivo.  I can watch Formula One now at anytime and not have to wake up @ 2am to do it.  I can also watch Justice League, Batman and Superman anytime I want.  Best part of all, I skip the Kwaki commercials when I watch Superbikes (which should be called Icon Presents a Kawasaki Production, Superbikes).

<!--EDIT|PandaNin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154147588 -->

Considering getting a TIVO for my Direct TV. I know exactly squat aboout ANY part of it.
If No, Where's the best place to go for the best Unit/ Price? Can I set it up myself ?
As stated above there is an extra charge.

If you want all the programming stuff, yes get it from DTV.

You can buy Tivo DVR units from many electronic chains but they won't have all the features of the DTV model, from what I've been told.

Big question is: Do you already have DTV? If not you can score big on getting a good one with installation. Mine (dual tuner) was basically free upon initial sign up but a little outdated at this point memory wise.

You will need the phone line for programming updates, etc.

I'm looking to threaten changing to cable for a Tivo unit w/ more memory...oh yes, it can be done. Honor a longstanding customer or the first moron on the street that signs up?

I think american satellite.com still sells tivo's... I have direct tv and bought my tivo dual from them for 100.00 plus tax a couple of years ago...

Here is the link... not sure how competitive it is anymore.

http://www.americansatellite.com/

EVERYONE I know, that has Tivo, and by everyone I mean like 7 guys, al Tivo stuff, their favorite shows and sprts events and races and movies...

... and never have time to watch much or any of it, they talk about how it fills itself up and deltes the oldest stuff for new stuff [that's a setting]

Any of you Tivo heads here run into that dilema?

No problem on storage.

We don't store movies, just TV shows.

The other half usually has around 10-15 Law & Orders that she watches on occasional weekends and I have another 30 or so episodes of various shows that I watch whenever I get a chance. I have it set not to delete until I want it to. I also have it set not to record dupes. All in all, it records alot of stuff.

I watch F1 that day; can't go the whole day knowing it's there and not watching it.

I talked about getting it for some time. The wife was relunctant because of the expense. We ended up doing it about 18 months ago. She is now one of the biggest fans of it now. 2 tuner box is the way to go. I think all of the DirecTV units are 2 tuner. We don't even have a vcr hooked up now. I have had DTV since 95. I called and I had to commit to a year service. They cam out and put up a new 3 LNB oval dish so I could get locals. Replaced the bedroom tuner. Dropped the extra cable. Set up the Tivo DTV box in the living room. Cost out of pocket $100. After about 2 weeks, I went to BestBuy and bought a new DTV tuner for the bedroom ($100). We liked it that much.

Do it, you wont be sorry you did.

PS.. I bought a TIVO box for mom and dad for christmas last year for thier cable. It sucks compared to the DirecTV unit. TIVO service is higher, single tuner..... Also with DirecTV you only pay the one 4.95 Tivo fee even with my two tuners.

Get the biggest hard drive (hours) you can if you are interested in saving movies. You can also export to your DVD recorder. I have seen some non DirecTV Tivo units with built in DVD recording. As of 12 months ago, not with DirecTV. It may have changed.

I actually have the Dish network PVR. But I bought mine outright at Costco when they first came out. I pay nothing for mine. I have been told that you have to pay Dish like 5$ a month for this service now if you get it through them. Make no mistake whatever you get you will never watch TV the same again! If you watch TV at someones house you'll be like hey "pause this" or "rewind that" to no avail. I wish I had and audio version of it in my car! I also have my PC connected to my home theater so I can dump movies straight onto it for burning or just use it as a backup PVR.

Back