Tires

stevo_1978

Registered
I've had my bike for about 1.5 months and got about 2200 miles on it, I noticed that the wear indicator is getting low, just curious on how many miles they are good for and when do you change yours out, what tire pressure for longer life do you use, etc... thanks

For my style of riding, I expect at least 5,000 miles out of my rear tire and usually get that with the Pirelli Diablos I've been using. The greater majority of my miles however, are steady backroad cruise miles and fast steady highway cruise miles as I travel to and from the mountains. Unlike many, I have no need to race from traffic light to traffic light and draw the attention of law enforcement my way. I pick my spots carefully for going fast (so I do have my moments), but I'm certainly not as rough on tires as the majority.

I got 2900 miles out of my Stockers at 42 psi F/R. Never did a burnout or drag race! Lots of commuting and the occasional back road foray. Running Metzeler M3's now and I am to about 3200 miles on them still nowhere near the wear bars in the back. I expect to get about 4000 miles out of the rear. One thing to note is that at this mileage my stocker was square in the middle big time. My M3 is still nice and round and wearing remarkably evenly! I run them at 40fr/42 rear. Good tires!

How people get 5000+ out of a sport tire on a Hayabusa is beyond me unless your just cruising all the time.

Stockers gave me 3,000 and the Conti-Force got about 3,500 .
sad.gif

I think maybe rider weight might have something to do with it also, i wieght about 160, the stock rear on my bike has worn down an 1/8th of an inch. I see easily getting at least 7k out of these tires. I don't granny the throttle, but I'm not doing burnouts either.

That's what my wife says , "It's your big azz that's wearing out those tires ! " Geeez , I'm only 235 lbs. !

At 2500 miles, I need an oil change and a rear tire. No burnies here until I'm at the wearbars either.. Front will last for 2 oil changes.

(Mr. Anderson @ Sep. 16 2006,11:25) I think maybe rider weight might have something to do with it also, i wieght about 160, the stock rear on my bike has worn down an 1/8th of an inch. I see easily getting at least 7k out of these tires. I don't granny the throttle, but I'm not doing burnouts either.
Exactly! Also add in proper tire alignment, pressure, balance and suspension settings. Road surfaces in certain states make a big difference too. Some country roads around me are made of a layer of fine gravel and then sealed with some kind of coating. The road lasts forever and the traction is great in wet conditions but it's like riding on 20 grit sand paper. I try and avoid those roads.
I hear some roads in FL. use crushed coral mixed in with the concrete which is hell on tires.
Still I bet most the people tearing up tires are horizontally gifted.
smile.gif

I'm 155 lbs and my original BT56 went about 6500 miles. I replaced it with another BT56 which has 3000 on it so far and should be good for at least another 2000.

My new Avon AV60R Viper Sport arrived by ups yesterday and I can't believe how incredibly deap the tread depth is compared to the BT56! I'm hoping it'll last even longer than the stockers. The profile on that thing is sweet too...makes the BT56 look like a car tire.

Also get a free matching front during the month of Sept. when you fill out a form from Avon's web site and send it in with your receipt. That was sent out this morning. I love shopping online!
smile.gif

smile.gif

(stevo_1978 @ Sep. 16 2006,05:01) I've had my bike for about 1.5 months and got about 2200 miles on it, I noticed that the wear indicator is getting low, just curious on how many miles they are good for and when do you change yours out, what tire pressure for longer life do you use, etc... thanks
For the streets?....I personally run 40-42rear/38-40 front..however?...

Tire wear is quite subjective and varys greatly pending many circumstances including, speeds ridden and for how long...local annual temps...composition of the local roads (abrasive or smooth)...and even how agressive the owner is as a rider...and of course "What Type and Manufacture" tires you're running...but as it seems?..owners around here can get anywhere's as high as 10,000+ too as low as 1,500 miles out of a set of any given tires.

However....generally speaking?...it seems that Avons are the milage kings and offer good stick for a commuter type rider while the Michelin Pilot Powers established themselves as a Town Favorite and offer great stick along with sharp handling and have been noted to offer up some real respectable wear characteristics...and still others yet seem to love the performance/wear from Metzelers Sportec "M" series of tires and Pirelli's Diablo's...which are much in the same as metzeler and pirelli are sister companies.

But..on the other side of the fence?...for those who favor "STICK & CONTROL" over "Wear"?...."Dunlop"....(believe it or not)....has recently struck paydirt releasing an awesome new tire line called "Qualifiers"...and while it doesn't seem they offer up quite as many miles as the Avons or Pilot Powers?...the handling, feel, control and STICK put's all other offerings of street/sport tires to shame...and who'd of thunk i'd be dunlop to take tires to the next level....but they have...and "Qualifiers" rock!
biggrin.gif

btw...justa give ya a clue?...it also seems that if the new busa owner has any previous riding experience and/or skillz whatsoever?...most are lucky to get 3,000-3,500 out of the stock oem bridgestones...if they baby it....a lot...and as compared to powers or qualifiers?...the oem stones sux.

hope that helps and..L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

thanks for all the info, I think its almost time for a new rear so I may as well get a new front to, dont want mismatch and dont wanna go back with stock in the rear.

I went from Pirelli Supra Corsa to the Mich Pilot Powers and the PPs are as sticky as the Corsas were. That actually surprised me as this time I was going for more miles out of a tire. The Corsa was good for about 1800 miles. The PPs have about 1300 on them already and look great!

i ride daily 5-6k front rear 8-9k in the last 11 months i have not rode a car for more then 3 days .
biggrin.gif
ask ozz he's a member here

If you do not mind running a 180 series, www.motorace.com has Michelin Pilot S2 180/55ZR17 for $69.95. The DOT date on the sidewall indicates they are a couple of years old. They grip well and the price is right for me. Last about 2000 miles with hard riding.
Last time I spoke with motorace they informed me that their inventory was over 300 of these tires.

Back