Should I have returned these tires?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
About 7 months ago I got a pair of Michelin'CTs. The manufacture date on them indicated they were 1.5 years old. I got them from a merchant on this board.

Should I have returned them? Two years is all tires are guaranteed to speeds in excess of 160. So, by this spring they will be past that 2 year date.

About 7 months ago I got a pair of Michelin'CTs. The manufacture date on them indicated they were 1.5 years old. I got them from a merchant on this board.

Should I have returned them? Two years is all tires are guaranteed to speeds in excess of 160. So, by this spring they will be past that 2 year date.

If this is something you have a concern about....I would say you should have raised the issue immediately after the sale. While I would not have a problem putting those tires on my bike (I have only seen above that speed once, ever), if you are doing pure track days or something perhaps you should not. Regardless though I do not think the vendor has a responsibility at this point.

What makes you think about this now?

Tires are good for a minimum of 6 years. Longer if kept in a cool dry place.

Actually, tires that are only 1.5 years since date of manufature is probably pretty good. Your Michelins were most likely made in France and it takes some time to go through the channels and finally reaching the end user.

Nothing to worry about. Mount them and have fun!

Just curious, where did you gather this info?

If this is something you have a concern about....I would say you should have raised the issue immediately after the sale. While I would not have a problem putting those tires on my bike (I have only seen above that speed once, ever), if you are doing pure track days or something perhaps you should not. Regardless though I do not think the vendor has a responsibility at this point.

What makes you think about this now?

Totally agree I can't cry after waiting this long. To answer your question: Spring is coming! I have a perfect place picked out to run all out. These tires don't have 500 miles on them.

Tires are good for a minimum of 6 years. Longer if kept in a cool dry place.

Actually, tires that are only 1.5 years since date of manufature is probably pretty good. Your Michelins were most likely made in France and it takes some time to go through the channels and finally reaching the end user.

Nothing to worry about. Mount them and have fun!

I like your response. They are mounted. I want to try for 190 this spring.

Just curious, where did you gather this info?
Owners manual. If you mean about the date of the tire manufacture, there is a string where the last 4 numbers are the week and year of mfg. Like 2809. That would mean the 28th week of 2009.

I am COMPLETELY surprised that Tuf did not say 'hey, they are Michelins, they are no good now, 1.5 years ago or 1.5 years from now:whistle:

Two years is all tires are guaranteed to speeds in excess of 160.

Actually, I was asking where you got this information concerning the tire's guarantee (Only two years) at speeds exceeding 160 MPH?

I've never seen that anywhere so you have my curiosity up!

I am COMPLETELY surprised that Tuf did not say 'hey, they are Michelins, they are no good now, 1.5 years ago or 1.5 years from now:whistle:

Hey you Alabama Bum, you can be replace with a broom and dust mop, you know! :poke:

Anyway, the poor bloke has the tires mounted so it's to late to save him! :lol:

They are garbage. Send them to me and I will recycle them for you :thumbsup:

He got me off Michelins and on BT016's :thumbsup:

He does seem to have that effect on folks!

Personally, I would not worry about a tire that old, heck, the ones I am running now are WAY older than that!

Interesting topic, I was going to post a thread with the same question. I've got a set of BT 002r's and they are about 4 years old, never used. Would these be ok. Sorry for the thread jack.

Interesting topic, I was going to post a thread with the same question. I've got a set of BT 002r's and they are about 4 years old, never used. Would these be ok. Sorry for the thread jack.

I would think so as long as they weren't stored in the heat and sun.
Most times a tire will perform badly if it is going to let go.
Watch the tread and sidewall for cracking and weathering type marks.
As suggested I will recycle them for you if you are concerned. :laugh:

I have tires on my utility trailer that are 15 years old and no problem.
I also have tires on my 2000 Land Rover that are 10 years old (I bought a couple of sets because I liked the tread and didn't want to miss out when they were discontinued.) and again no problems.
(Have to add they don't do 160 mph though)

Last edited:
Tires that are stored in a warehouse are good for MUCH longer than 1.5 years. I have a riding buddy who has 15 year old tires that look as good as new. They run great. Rubber doesn't decompose that quick if out of sunlight.

He does seem to have that effect on folks!

Personally, I would not worry about a tire that old, heck, the ones I am running now are WAY older than that!

he kept me from going to the dark side at all... BT002 and 003R :laugh: at least he gave us great options $$ wise huh? SteveO is a wealth of knowledge on this stuff, just hope he really is not a Bridgestone rep in disguise...

Tires that are stored in a warehouse are good for MUCH longer than 1.5 years. I have a riding buddy who has 15 year old tires that look as good as new. They run great. Rubber doesn't decompose that quick if out of sunlight.

yeah... I thought ultra violet light was the real killer of vulcanized rubber. I don't know this as scientific fact just antedotally sp?.

Back