Tire Warnings- new tires, cold tires blah blah

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
Let me start by saying I didn't go down, But... Today it was nice out so I decided to ride the Busa to work. It was about 62degs out and the tires were nice and cold. This is also the first time they hit the road since I had them replaced. Anyway, I head out to work and goto turn out of the neighborhood. I roll on the throttle and next thing I know the back tire is in front of me and my right leg is up in the air. I got off the gas, the bike hooks up and my leg comes crashing back to earth slamming in to the peg. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me and I didn't like it. Other then my wreck three years ago this is the closest I have ever come to going down. I have slipped the tire a few times but never had the bike come around on me. I almost did a complete 180. So when ever someone tells you to take it easy on a new, a cold (or both) tires listen to them. I have always taken it easy but today I guess I hit the gas just a little to hard. Be careful out there. Things can happen very quickly.

Jim, glad you had a good outcome. Don't need anything to happen to your busa or you before Laguna you know. Very good advice about the tires. Everyone take heed. Bob
wow.gif

Glad you kept it "rubberside down"
I am usually over cautious on cold tires.

Did a track day about 8 months ago, it had rained all night and a bit cold that am. The instructors warned all of us numerous times about the cold track and cold tires. Some did not listen, 3 people went down on the 4th turn, at laguna Seca. Their day was over, after a $400 2 minute ride.

Be careful out there.

WHAT should I do with new tires??? Honestly, I am scared to death. I just mounted Pirelli Diablos on my TURBO busa, talk about breakin' em loose? I saw Big O once scrub the tires with some light sand paper, does this really help?

I want to ride it to work tomorrow, but I am thinking I may need to do some "sandin'" first. I have 6 other bikes, and never did anything but be careful with new tires... Sure, they'd spin, but I was ready and just took it easy. However, a good friend of mine just bit it on his gsxr600 with NEW Diablos in a corner. He had maybe 30 miles on them heading to the twisties, then in the first turn he leaned into the "fresh" part of the tire and down he went....

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Two words, gently, gently.

I usually go for a quiet ride for around 50Km then find some ware with lots of corners and SLOWLY increase bank angles for another 30-50Kms.
I’ll repeat the cornering thing for another day or so after warming them up then I’m good to go.
I’ve never had a problem but I’m sure as hell glad you got away with only a scare!

Stay Safe
Ross
idea.gif

I agree with BigO on the sandpaper. I use the sandpaper all over my tire as well. With a new tire, I always do a few burnouts to get the coating off the tire before I start to get jiggy wit' it. Always remember that a new tire always come coated with a slippery silicon type material from the manufacturer. The material is used to basically keep the rubber from drying and cracking during long storage periods. In other words, it's used to keep the tire fresh.

Brian

OK Get that slick shite off your tires with Kitty Litter... Yeah I know it sounds funny, but get a pan and some kitty little (Oil Dry) (CLEAN KITTY LITTER) and rub it into your tires real good, work it in good, then wash your wheels and tires with some good dish soap and rinse clean. You should be just about good to go. Though to be honest, the sand paper will do the same thing. Just be sure to get that crap off them tires... and keep eye on your pressure. IT aint no joke, green tires and a Busa are a bad mix.

Heh, Belt sander, race stands and bike in neuteral!!! ZING!!! Slippery no more!!!

Most new tires are coated with the remains of "mold release compound" used in manufacture and it is quite slick - it also preserves the tire somewhat. I have been inm te plastics/rubber industry for 14 years so I know this.

I usually do what Rosco says but I think I am going to try to use a Scotchbrite pad on my new M1's. That should do the trick and not as harsh as sandpaper (but that would work too).

And of couse always be very careful on an y tire until they are warmed up. I perfer to be conservative rather than sorry. Once there nice and warm - rock on!

I think I am going to try to use a Scotchbrite pad on my new M1's.
Hey EAKBusa, you got some Metzeler Sportec M1's also?
rock.gif
I just ordered me a set and they should be in tomorrow. I hear nothing but good about Metzeler tires. Got mine from Parts411.com. Great prices.

Brian

Never had to scuff up a pair by hand, but not a tottally bad idea.
I just make sure on new rubber that I roll them back and forth real good for the first 50 miles or so.
I look like an idiot doing it, but fortunatly it takes me 30 miles to get anywhere from my house.

I think I am going to try to use a Scotchbrite pad on my new M1's.
Hey EAKBusa, you got some Metzeler Sportec M1's also?
rock.gif
 I just ordered me a set and they should be in tomorrow.  I hear nothing but good about Metzeler tires.  Got mine from Parts411.com.  Great prices.

Brian
Yep. Got mine from Parts411 also - at least $100 cheaper than from my dealer for the set. I just figured that I would wait until my stock BT's are really trashed before I mount the new M1's. They look awesome and, like you, I have heard nothing but good things about them so I am looking forward to it. I might just go ahead and Scotchbrite 'em while they're sitting my closet.

Eric

Jim : whoa Cowboy! Just take it easy for the 1st 30-miles or so on new tires, do some warm up swerves too. Marc told me Pirelli's take longer to heat up than Bridgestones. Oh and I hardly ever nail the throttle til I am upright and headin straight and especially not until I warm up the tires first. I've broken it lose lots of times straight out of the drive way but not truned just straight...Lets be careful out there people.
smile.gif

Replaced my rear M1 Sportec last week. Got around the corner from the dealer found a parking lot and....5 sec burnout. Tremendous difference without eating all the new tread.

post_6_33933_banner_metalic.jpg

WHAT should I do with new tires???  Honestly, I am scared to death.  I just mounted Pirelli Diablos on my TURBO busa, talk about breakin' em loose?  I saw Big O once scrub the tires with some light sand paper, does this really help?  

I want to ride it to work tomorrow, but I am thinking I may need to do some "sandin'" first.  I have 6 other bikes, and never did anything but be careful with new tires...   Sure, they'd spin, but I was ready and just took it easy.  However, a good friend of mine just bit it on his gsxr600 with NEW Diablos in a corner.  He had maybe 30 miles on them heading to the twisties, then in the first turn he leaned into the "fresh" part of the tire and down he went....  

WHAT DO YOU DO?
You will find that the Diablos heat and grab very quick. I loved them for that. They will handle great. Just do not ride a long way on very staight roads. Lean the bike if you have to. The center is very soft. On South Florida straight road heaven they just went down to the cord and you know how I am about keeping good tread. Now the good news is on New englan roads are your canyon roads, nICCCE.

Let me start by saying I didn't go down, But...  Today it was nice out so I decided to ride the Busa to work.  It was about 62degs out and the tires were nice and cold.  This is also the first time they hit the road since I had them replaced.  Anyway, I head out to work and goto turn out of the neighborhood.  I roll on the throttle and next thing I know the back tire is in front of me and my right leg is up in the air.  I got off the gas, the bike hooks up and my leg comes crashing back to earth slamming in to the peg.  This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me and I didn't like it.  Other then my wreck three years ago this is the closest I have ever come to going down.  I have slipped the tire a few times but never had the bike come around on me.  I almost did a complete 180.  So when ever someone tells you to take it easy on a new, a cold (or both) tires listen to them.  I have always taken it easy but today I guess I hit the gas just a little to hard.  Be careful out there.  Things can happen very quickly.
<marquee><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:papyrus'><span style='color:darkred'>Glad you did not go down.</marquee></span></span></span>

Glad everything came out to the good. I put a new set of pilots on a R1 last year and told the kid that he had to break in the tires, even offered to scuff them. He told Me I was nuts and proceeded to do a lowside a block and half away.

WHAT should I do with new tires???  Honestly, I am scared to death.  I just mounted Pirelli Diablos on my TURBO busa, talk about breakin' em loose?  I saw Big O once scrub the tires with some light sand paper, does this really help?  

I want to ride it to work tomorrow, but I am thinking I may need to do some "sandin'" first.  I have 6 other bikes, and never did anything but be careful with new tires...   Sure, they'd spin, but I was ready and just took it easy.  However, a good friend of mine just bit it on his gsxr600 with NEW Diablos in a corner.  He had maybe 30 miles on them heading to the twisties, then in the first turn he leaned into the "fresh" part of the tire and down he went....  

WHAT DO YOU DO?
You will find that the Diablos heat and grab very quick.    I loved them for that.  They will handle great.  Just do not ride a long way on very staight roads.  Lean the bike if you have to.  The center is very soft.  On South Florida straight road heaven they just went down to the cord and you know how I am about keeping good tread.  Now the good news is on New englan roads are your canyon roads, nICCCE.
Mike, u talkin which Diablo? Corsa & super corsa or the regular standard road tire? I have the standard diablo and seems to be a harder compound than the BT010 and should last longer but also seems to take just a bit more to warm up
rock.gif
just my 2 cents...

Back