Tire Warnings- new tires, cold tires blah blah

It was a hell of a ride that I don't plan on repeating.
wow.gif

Jim, glad it turned out okay and count it as a lesson learned. I just put on a new rear tire sunday (damn blowout!), did a short burnout in front of the house and then headed out. The first few turns at corners, I took really slow with very little throttle coming out. Hit the freeway and zig zagged (leaned back and forth rocking the Bus like I'm warming up the tires for the canyons) back and forth on and off for about 10 miles.... trying to roll the tire side to side to get more coverage...

By the time I hit the twisties, I slowly leaned more and more in each corner until I felt I had a full lean going on each side. When we stopped for lunch, tires were totally scrubbed. The first few leans you have to take gradually because the sides are still slippery.

Most "New Tire" incidents are done within a mile of the tire being put on. (Either the shop or around the corner from home) Be careful, live and learn!!!!

See ya in July!!! We'll do some serious "scrubbin" when you get out here!!

Lo

Jim, glad it turned out okay and count it as a lesson learned.  I just put on a new rear tire sunday (damn blowout!), did a short burnout in front of the house and then headed out.  The first few turns at corners, I took really slow with very little throttle coming out.  Hit the freeway and zig zagged (leaned back and forth rocking the Bus like I'm warming up the tires for the canyons) back and forth on and off for about 10 miles....  trying to roll the tire side to side to get more coverage...

By the time I hit the twisties, I slowly leaned more and more in each corner until I felt I had a full lean going on each side.  When we stopped for lunch, tires were totally scrubbed.  The first few leans you have to take gradually because the sides are still slippery.

Most "New Tire" incidents are done within a mile of the tire being put on.  (Either the shop or around the corner from home) Be careful, live and learn!!!!

See ya in July!!!  We'll do some serious "scrubbin" when you get out here!!

Lo
Sounds like a plan to me. See ya soon.

Good to see you got Dex back up and running.

Well, I scrubbed the Diablos today. Wow, those tires feel GREAT! I took it real easy and started leaning it slow... basically what LoBusa said... They still have about 1/32 of an inch of chicken strip, but we can probably work that off next weekend...

Diablos get two thumbs way up so far!

NE: I sure hope they hold up to the straight roads... maybe it is the turbo not the roads. I did a 200 MPH run a few weekends ago and it ROASTED the Pilot RACE tires I had on. The rear was melted right down the center... psick!

Well, I scrubbed the Diablos today.  Wow, those tires feel GREAT!  I took it real easy and started leaning it slow...  basically what LoBusa said...  They still have about 1/32 of an inch of chicken strip, but we can probably work that off next weekend...

NE:  I sure hope they hold up to the straight roads...  maybe it is the turbo not the roads.  I did a 200 MPH run a few weekends ago and it ROASTED the Pilot RACE tires I had on.  The rear was melted right down the center...   psick!
Hello Doc,

You seem to be in the know on tires so I'll ask you.  What would be your tire choice for best cost, quality and wear longevity?  I am not happy with the Batlax tire and am going to replace them as soon as I can.  I mainly commute on my 'Busa (70 miles-round), but take a day trip now and then.  I don't stunt or race but like to hit the canyon roads and usually cruise at 85-110.  I've tried Metzlers but my 'Busa ate them up at 4000 miles, which comes out to about two months of riding.  Any preferences?

hehe... sandpaper.  I forgot about that, I used the sandpaper because we were going for a ride and I didn't have a Scotchbrite scrubber.  I scrub Every new tire I get, then take it easy until I get to the edge.
The scrubber doesn't scuff the tire though.

<!--EDIT|Big O
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081676448 -->

ScotchBrite.JPG

Well, I scrubbed the Diablos today.  Wow, those tires feel GREAT!  I took it real easy and started leaning it slow...  basically what LoBusa said...  They still have about 1/32 of an inch of chicken strip, but we can probably work that off next weekend...

NE:  I sure hope they hold up to the straight roads...  maybe it is the turbo not the roads.  I did a 200 MPH run a few weekends ago and it ROASTED the Pilot RACE tires I had on.  The rear was melted right down the center...   psick!
Hello Doc,

You seem to be in the know on tires so I'll ask you.  What would be your tire choice for best cost, quality and wear longevity?  I am not happy with the Batlax tire and am going to replace them as soon as I can.  I mainly commute on my 'Busa (70 miles-round), but take a day trip now and then.  I don't stunt or race but like to hit the canyon roads and usually cruise at 85-110.  I've tried Metzlers but my 'Busa ate them up at 4000 miles, which comes out to about two months of riding.  Any preferences?
Actually, I am probably not a good person to answer this. I used the BattleAx's exclusively for two years on the Busa (a few sets). I LIKED them! They worked well for me, got decent mileage, and my philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The switch to Diablos came after running Michelin pilot race tires that came on the PVM wheels. They suuhk'd! The Diablos feel great! I bet it is the profile of the tire more than the rubber compound though... Not sure on longevity, but I say give the Diablos a shot.

Good luck!

Back