Tire Too Big

FstEnf

Registered
I've had these tires on for about a week now (Avon Sports in a 200).  Short 15 to 20 milers didn't show any wear.  But after an over 100 miles ride it took off the edge of the tire and left it melted shiny.  I scuffed the gloss off with fine sandpaper to see if it would still rub.  Sure enough after 120 mile run today... edge is as shiny as it can be.  I thought my alignment was off, but I use a set of calipers to check the axle and it's dead on.  Avon said the tire is a 202 mm...I thought I'd have enough clearance..guess not.  The tires looks good on, I just wish I could keep it on there without having to worry about catstrophic chain, or tire failure.

too_big_tire_1.jpg

That sucks.
sad.gif

I have a new pair of Viper Sports in the garage which I'll be putting on in a few weeks. Entered 200 on the order form and went back and changed it to 190 before hitting confirm. Glad I did!

Is that supposed to be a snake head engraved in the tire? Are those regular sport or supersport?

i have a 200 bt.020 and have no room left.. alot of people donot like those tires . but iam glad i got them . i have about a less then 1/4 in left of chicken strip left..and have not give me any problems yet..rode to the gap 2 weeks ago and did fine..

hmm....have installed the Avon Storm 200 on a few Busa's with no issues

Is it rubbing on something? A lot of folks have run 200's with no issues. Even the Stock BT56 is 198mm. Something weird going on there.
wink.gif

Where is it hitting? Can you see the contact or is it only during riding?

You may have low air pressure and the tire is squatting.

(GPW @ May 14 2007,19:53) hmm....have installed the Avon Storm 200 on a few Busa's with no issues
+1 on the Avon Storm.. and low pressure is same thought I had.

When it's sitting still it should have enough clearance to ride (just barely). I run these tires at 41 till I get a good feel for them. After reading some more here I decided to go down and recheck the alignment..with the depth gauge on the micrometer I was dead on. Soooo..I decided to F with it and see what happens. I dialed in a little less than an a 64th of an inch more tension on the brake side. As a little pre-text I replaced the rear brake while i had the tire off last week. I have noticed that I had a squeal coming from the rear brake with light pressure. Jump to tonight....After I dialed in more tension on the brake side, behold...no more brake squeal. I don't know if a little less than a 64th at the axle will make much difference at the tire edge, but hey I wound it to 120 no ride diffence, and no brake squeal.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot but do you think that 43, or 44 would be OK to run. I know I sometimes run a little lower pressure when it's cold outside, but I don't think I've ever run over pressure.

I wouldn't run no more than 41psi. If it doesn't work, try dropping the pressure 6-8psi.

Do you have an aftermarket chain? Most chains are a few MM's wider than stock. That is where you problem probably is. I know from experience!

You can shim your sprocket or spacer between wheel and sprocket hub. Looks like all you need is 0.5-0.7 mm there.

that snake head on the side represents the Viper & Venom series of tires ... they are built to different dimensions than the ST Azaro & Storm series tires most of us use.

what was is the part number of this tire?
rock.gif

Back